ibike dash handle bar mount for Newton+

JulianBoulter

ibike dash handle bar mount for Newton+

Post by JulianBoulter »

Hi, just wondering how well the ibike dash handle bar mount will work for a Newton+ unit?

http://store.ibikesports.com/iphone-4-3 ... -bar-mount

The dual purpose mount appears to require sticking to the bar which means I cant remove it when it's not in use whereas the dash handle bar mount appears to be removable in that it doesnt require sticking? can anyone confirm?

Also if a Newton+ is fixed to it how solid/stable is the ibike dash handle bar mount? is it as sturdy as the dual purpose mount?

Thanks

Julian
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: ibike dash handle bar mount for Newton+

Post by Velocomp »

The handlebar mount will work perfectly with the Newton+. It is rock solid, like the Dual Mount.

Both mounts (Dual Mount and handlebar mount) use double sticky tape. You don't have to use the tape if you're careful to fasten the mount so that it can't rotate on the handlebars.

Note that if you are removing/reattaching the mount that your power readings will likely be "off" for the first five minutes.
John Hamann
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

Note that if you are removing/reattaching the mount that your power readings will likely be "off" for the first five minutes.
ah OK that is good to know, would it make sense to repeat the calibration out and back ride then every time a mount is reattached? thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you put the mount in the same location then a cal ride won't be needed. However, since the angle of the mount will never be precisely the same, the tilt will need to readjust. This happens in the first 5 minutes of riding.

Is there a reason you plan to remove the mount? It's best to leave it in position...
John Hamann
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

Velocomp wrote:Is there a reason you plan to remove the mount? It's best to leave it in position...
Well it's just that I use clip on aero bars on my road bike and therefore I have ordered the tt setup and I didnt like the idea of leaving a redundant mount in place while I'm in Aero mode. As my tt ergo nova bars only have a cylindrical cross section right at the stem, I thought I could use the handle bar mount when in road mode and remove it when I fit the aero bars. From what you are saying though I may have issues every time i switch modes? (which will be twice a week at the height of the season)

By the way I just noticed the dash steer tube mount: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wM2OJvznUA is this still available and would it work with the Newton? Am assuming this mount will not require sticking?

thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Send Tom Gore an email at tgore@velocomp.com and you can special order a stem mount. This would be the best alternative for you.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

JulianBoulter,

You may want to also get the RWS (remote wind sensor) for when you have the bars attached. In that case, I would suggest using two profiles and having done the cal ride for each you would be good to go. The RWS samples the air from in front of your aero bars so that it is not affected by your hand position and equipment change out in front of the iBike.

That is, you would plug in the tube zip tied to your aero bars and your wind scaling would be different for each case.

Russ
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

Russ wrote:JulianBoulter,

You may want to also get the RWS (remote wind sensor) for when you have the bars attached. In that case, I would suggest using two profiles and having done the cal ride for each you would be good to go. The RWS samples the air from in front of your aero bars so that it is not affected by your hand position and equipment change out in front of the iBike.

That is, you would plug in the tube zip tied to your aero bars and your wind scaling would be different for each case.

Russ
Thanks Russ, yes I have already ordered the TT kit with RWS for when I have clip on's attached
Velocomp wrote:Send Tom Gore an email at tgore@velocomp.com and you can special order a stem mount. This would be the best alternative for you.
Thanks John, so is that the steer tube mount I mentioned?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes
John Hamann