Newton not showing Speed/Wind/Power Numbers

davisedward

Newton not showing Speed/Wind/Power Numbers

Post by davisedward »

Hi,
Have been out on vacation for several weeks and went out for a ride today for the first time in about 4 to 5 weeks. I recently opened up Isaac before the ride and updated to the newest firmware version before the ride. As the Newton hadn't been used for that period of non-riding time the battery had depleted so i plugged it in and left it connected to the computer while it updated and longer to allow it to charge.

When I started the ride, my Ibike Newton did not show my Speed, Wind or Power Numbers. The Newton WAS displaying my heart rate and Cadence. I have the Newton paired with a Garmin Edge and the Edge WAS reading Speed (also was reading Cadence & Heart Rate). As the Newton was not generating any power numbers, the only thing the Garmin Edge was not receiving was Power numbers from the Newton. I turned the Newton on and off with no luck, I also did a rescan for sensors. It indicated that it found 2 things (Heart Rate Monitor Strap & my Speed/Cadence Sensor). Any ideas why the Newton is not picking up Wind and Speed (and as a result not indicating Power Numbers)? As the Garmin Edge 800 is reading my Speed and Cadence Sensor, I can rule out that it is not the Speed Sensor or Cadence Sensor that is broken.

I tried to do a Cal Ride but as it thinks I'm not moving that didn't do anything. I have tried looking into the wind portal with a flashlight and can't see anything inside there blocking anything. I also thought maybe with the new firmware update it had 'forgotten' my Unlock Key for communicating to the Garmin so I checked that when I got home but that all shows ok.

Any ideas of what could be happening or remedies to get it back to normal?

Thanks,
Eddie
davisedward

Re: Newton not showing Speed/Wind/Power Numbers

Post by davisedward »

Forgot to mention that I also tried a Cal Wind. When I'm in the Cal Wind section it is indicating a number. It doesn't necessarily seem to be correct (ie. I'm indoors typing this and its registering wind as -2.1 to -2.4). I did ride though in some windy conditions today and did a cal wind during that ride.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The likely culprit is a mis-positioned speed sensor. The spoke magnet needs to be within a few coin widths of the speed sensor.

The Garmin will show speed even when the speed sensor is not working, because the Garmin will show speed as calculated by GPS readings.

Wind speed will default to zero whenever bike speed is zero.
John Hamann
davisedward

Post by davisedward »

Thanks. Well, wouldn't you know it. Something as simple as me not checking the speed sensor is probably the culprit. I repositioned it slightly and that seems to have done the trick indoors (when i hand spin the wheel the newton is picking up a speed amount). Didn't know that about the Garmin so just assumed the speed sensor was working. I'll try it out tomorrow on my ride and that should hopefully work now. Will let you know once I've finished it.

And thanks for the quick response!!!!!!!
davisedward

Post by davisedward »

Thanks so much. Yep, it was the speed sensor and all works fine now. I blame not even thinking about something simple like checking the speed sensor on the cold temperatures here in Florida during the middle of winter (ie. 70's) and the effect that has on the brain :lol: :D