This hasn't happened before

PAllen

This hasn't happened before

Post by PAllen »

I had a problem with my Newton+ today (Saturday 5/25) and wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

Here's the info.
I rode Thursday (5/23), downloaded the ride file and update my firmware and software. (Issac 2.1.1, firmware 4.01)
Started a 100K ride this morning, turned the Newton on, everything appeared normal. I ride a Trek with a DuoTrap sensors.
After about 1 mile, the Newton froze! I stopped and did a reset, the display read "Data Setup" then it found speed and HR. I started riding again.
The Newton proceeded to freeze again, I reset while riding and got the same messages.
The Newton continued to freeze after a short time. I wasn't able to time when it happened.
More than a little frustrated, I decided to just reset it occasionally to check my HR after an effort - I expected it to freeze again.
To my surprise, after riding about 19 miles, I did a reset and it stayed on for the next 43 miles!
In the download process, there were 8 0- mile files without data, and one 43 mile file where the data sorta looked OK (I only suspect the NP number). All the setup data was there. The clock was not correct. I did not save any of these
ride files.
The battery was fully charged before the ride and was at 84% after about a 3 /12 hour ride. Sensor batteries were changed in March.

I'll try another ride Monday and see if everything works normal. In the meantime, is it possible that the firmware update caused this?

Thanks, Paul
rstrom

Re: This hasn't happened before

Post by rstrom »

I am riding with FW v4.01 and Isaac v2.1.1 also.

I used the Newton on Thursday, Friday, and today (actually have used it every day since last Sunday) and have not had any issues at all. I also have a Trek with a DuoTrap sensor.

The only thing that I saw was a couple of short periods on todays ride where I lost speed sensor connection. It appeared to be when I was next to one specific person on a group ride since he was also having issues with losing his Garmin speed sensor connectivity. Once the two of us put a little distance between ourselves the issue seemed to resolve itself.

Robert
PAllen

Post by PAllen »

Well, the first freeze was in a bunch but the others were well away from others. After the reset and the "Data Setup" message, the next message was the speed sensor found followed by the HR found.

Paul
KenS

Post by KenS »

Was the reset a "Trip Reset" or a "Hard Reset" (the one that needs you to hold down four buttons at the same time).
When the unit freezes it's normally recommended to do a Hard Reset
-- Ken
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

@PAllen
Has this problem happened again since your last report. The only thing I can attest to is I've seen "CAD lost" a couple of times over the last dozen rides but not recently. I attribute it to a Garmin combo sensor that I've used for about five years so maybe its best days are behind it. However, the unit has never reset.

If necessary, upload a file.
Fernando
PAllen

Post by PAllen »

I did a hard reset (all the buttons) each time it froze. I plan to ride tomorrow to check if the problem is still there.
PAllen

Post by PAllen »

I had a couple of more rides since the initial problem without incident. I'm riding with about 1500 others Saturday so I'll wait for final report till then.