iBike import to Strava not grouping with other riders

KenS

Re: iBike import to Strava not grouping with other riders

Post by KenS »

racerfern wrote:IMO even though there may be a problem in merging some files, I think the root cause is the FIT file. If you convert the FIT to a TCX the issue goes away because the converting software fixes the error in the FIT file. AFA not finding other rides on Strava it may be that Strava has to make some adjustments since it appears Garmin has no interest in fixing the issue.
I think there are two problems which result in a similar outcome - namely a timestamp that goes backwards in time. One is the FIT file storing timestamps before and after a GPS sync and the other is the Isaac merge which has problems with TCX files as well.
I've got an Edge 705 which only stores TCX files so I'll see if I can mimic the late GPS synch and see what it produces.
rstrom wrote:KenS - was that my file that you're referring to? If so, isn't it possible to revert to the Original file download? From the Analyze menu ... Revert to Original Download.

I don't know if that will give you what you're looking for or not, just a thought / suggestion.
Revert doesn't work on the GPS data or the timestamps. BTW - another bug in the merge is that even if you do not choose Garmin timestamps it uses them anyway. If it used the Newton timestamps there's a good chance the backward timestamps would disappear.

I've got a pretty good idea why the merge has problems which you can often see on any"before merge" chart. The Garmin plot is invariably longer than the Newton plot by the amount of stoppage time. So the chart is showing the Newton data based on ride time while the Garmin data is based on actual time. If that is the same data that is being used to synch the files then it's little wonder Isaac has problems synching when it reaches one of the stops.
-- Ken
racerfern

Re: iBike import to Strava not grouping with other riders

Post by racerfern »

Actually the "dedicated" Strava competitive enthusiast will upload all variations and choose the ride which yields the best in Crowns, Cups, and Ribbons. Because of timing differences on the one second trackpoints a merge of the .fit with the .ibr may throw Strava Segments into the favor of the Newton vs the Edge. Then merely Delete the unwanted uploads. If you upload all variants at the same time, then Strava will not kick out the duplicates
Dedicated or Addicted? Competitive or Obsessed? You mean this isn't just for fun :lol: I know Strava allows flagging certain rides or sections, it might have to start flagging certain riders. :twisted: :evil:
Fernando