Interesting occurrance due to flat

rstrom

Interesting occurrance due to flat

Post by rstrom »

Early on in my ride this morning I had to stop due to a nail in my rear tire (like a #6 or #8 finishing nail). Luckily I was able to recover from this pretty well since I am running tubeless road tires/wheels.

When I stopped and found the nail I pulled it out and then began spinning the wheel and holding the bike at all kinds of different angles to get the sealant to plug the hole so I could proceed.

So, while I really wasn't going anywhere, the iBike thought that I was because the wheel was spinning and it was recording some pretty funky slopes. When I actually started riding again I noticed that the iBike was recording some very high power numbers and some pretty steep inclines.

Some questions that I have are:

- Why did the iBike freak out and record some very steep and incorrect inclines after I started riding again after I had been spinning the tire around trying to get the sealant to plug the holes?
- Is there a way to fix this in the current ride file?
- I searched the Newton instructions for the word pause and do not see that it is possible to "pause" a ride / stop the Newton from recording what's going on so that something like this doesn't happen. Is there a way to "pause" the recording of a ride? If not, is it possible to add this functionality?

At first I was concerned that the entire ride was going to be messed up (At that time I had no idea why the iBike was freaking out), thankfully the iBike realized it was misguided and sorted itself out fairly quickly.

Ride file is attached. Look at between approximately the 14 and 23 minute marks for the anomaly.

Thoughts / comments?

Thanks,

Robert
Attachments
iBike_04_06_2013_0621_78_Miles.ibr
(1002.66 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
racerfern

Re: Interesting occurrance due to flat

Post by racerfern »

You can select the section and delete it. You can force the elevation to merge. That will lose about 3 miles.

Or you can export as a csv and manually fill in the data to somewhat resemble what you actually did. It all depends what you want to do with the data.

Assuming you delete the section in question your TSS changes from 417 to 333. I did notice that your NP for this ride is very high and you have your FTP set at 200. It's time you did a fitness test of at least 20 minutes, ideally an hour. In all likelihood your FTP is a good 20-30 points higher. At least based on the data in this ride.
Fernando