Newton Setup Elevation failure

texmurphy

Newton Setup Elevation failure

Post by texmurphy »

Today I had the Newton outside for 10 minutes before riding - mid-40's F and a windy day.
I went to Setup to set Elevation. Prior to setup it was 117 ft, and I set it to 335 ft which is the known elevation for the start.
Since I have had a set Elevation failure in the past, I always now check the Elevation by pressing Enviro twice after exiting Setup. It said 334 ft which is certainly within range given the conditions.
I checked the Elevation at ride end after doing a Trip Reset by again pressing Enviro twice and it showed 335 ft (a short ride without noticeable change in weather at midday).

On load into Isaac, Isaac says ride ended where it began but the elevation for start/end is 116/114 ft!!!

Again this is the second time I have had this happen with my Newton+. See http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 531#p14531
Attachments
iBike_2012_11_03_1250_20_Miles_Elevation.ibr
Setup Elevation did not set elevation.
(412.89 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
racerfern

Re: Newton Setup Elevation failure

Post by racerfern »

It sounds like something is displaying meters. Are you sure you don't have Isaac in metric or something in metric?

335ft=102meters
Fernando
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Nothing is in metric. If you look at the iBike file you will see it shows 116 ft at start.
The Newton shows everything in ft/miles/F.

I had thought I could verify elevation correctly set using Enviro or returning to Setup-Elevation but this was a clear failure on this ride.
And I was so pleased that the Newton and the Edge 500 both showed the same elevation at ride end as at ride start.

I return to my wish that it would be easier to set elevation at ride start on the Newton.
texmurphy

Re: Newton Setup Elevation failure - 3rd event

Post by texmurphy »

The Set Elevation failed today for the 3rd time on my Newton.
I entered Setup and went to Elevation. Elevation was around 160ft and I set it to 335 ft as usual. I looked at the elevation when I returned to my start location and it showed around 340 ft. After download to Isaac I find start=162 and end=234 elevations.

I do the same procedure to set elevation before every ride and I have been scrupulous ever since the first failure of the Newton in this matter.
Again this is the third time this has happened - elevation is set and checked during the ride and at ride end. Yet the elevation recorded by the Newton reflects the un-SETUP set elevation.

Please advise on a procedure to help discover the cause of this bug/failure.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I attempted to replicate your issue. Here's what I did:

1) I woke up the Newton

2) I set elevation to 1010 feet (it's really 10 feet here in FL).

3) I started a new ride.

4) I did a Trip Reset to end the ride.

5) I downloaded the ride. My starting elevation in the ride file was 1010 feet, as expected.

I then did a second ride.

1) I did a Trip Reset.

2) The starting elevation was 1010 feet.

3) I started a new ride, and let it run for 20 seconds.

4) I went into Setup and set the elevation to 10 feet.

5) I continued the ride for a few more seconds.

6) I did a Trip Reset to end the ride, then downloaded the file.

The ride file shows that starting elevation was 1010 feet, then dropped (precipitously) to 10 feet.

So, I was unable to replicate the bug.

Let us know if your procedure is anything different from what's above. Also, please post a ride file.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

My procedure is essentially the same.
For ride file which experienced the error see initial post for that example and below for the 3rd event.

My procedure for set elevation has been the same for every ride both for the iAero Gen III and the Newton+.
Prior to Ride I wakeup the Newton, do Setup->Elevation to known-for-location elevation, check Enviro->Elevation, do ride, check elevation at end to see any barometric drift, Trip Reset, Battery->OFF.

The fault yesterday was only the 3rd occurrence of the error over hundreds of rides and only has happened with the Newton.
Due to these errors I have become very careful in setting elevation, then doing a Trip Reset and Enviro check of Elevation before start and a check on ride end. Even so, the Elevation was not correct in the ride file but displayed correct on the Newton.
Attachments
iBike_2012_11_17_1419_14_Miles.ibr
3rd time Setup Elevation failed in ibr but ok on Newton
(147.85 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I don't have an answer for this problem but I will report it to our FW developer.

It looks like your elevation is correct after about 20 seconds of riding. This appears to be an out/back ride, and the ending elevation is correct.

As an experiment, at the beginning of your ride, after setting elevation wait about 20 seconds and recheck its value.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Velocomp wrote:...It looks like your elevation is correct after about 20 seconds of riding. This appears to be an out/back ride, and the ending elevation is correct...
The initial elevation was Setup set to 335 ft. The file shows initial at 162 ft. and final elevation at 289 ft. This was an afternoon ride with constant temperature and no obvious change in barometric conditions.
Ride had an out and back starting about 0.3 miles (0.26 by Isaac determination).
I will try and start my rides with a 20 second pause for elevation verification.
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Velocomp wrote:Release Notes OS218:
Fixed a bug that occasionally caused reference elevation changes not be updated in ride file
Looking forward to the fix.
The set reference elevation feature is great :D