Cycle-Ops Fluid2 and Trainer Mode

Foothills Rider

Cycle-Ops Fluid2 and Trainer Mode

Post by Foothills Rider »

CycleOps Fluid2 has (I think) 4 referenced graphs...Is there an accurate, easy way to determine which is the one that will work best for my set-up?
Thanks!

Bill
travispape
Site Admin

Re: Cycle-Ops Fluid2 and Trainer Mode

Post by travispape »

Foothills Rider wrote:CycleOps Fluid2 has (I think) 4 referenced graphs...Is there an accurate, easy way to determine which is the one that will work best for my set-up?
Thanks!

Bill
Please start with the manufacturer data. The other options are available in case you find your trainer deviates from the data they provided themselves.

Thanks,

Travis
gavnunns

Post by gavnunns »

travispape wrote:
Foothills Rider wrote:CycleOps Fluid2 has (I think) 4 referenced graphs...Is there an accurate, easy way to determine which is the one that will work best for my set-up?
Thanks!

Bill
Please start with the manufacturer data. The other options are available in case you find your trainer deviates from the data they provided themselves.

Thanks,

Travis
Where would I find the manufacturer data? I can't see the graphs anywhere on the Cycle-Ops site.
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

gavnunns wrote:
travispape wrote:
Thanks!

Bill

Thanks,

Travis
Where would I find the manufacturer data? I can't see the graphs anywhere on the Cycle-Ops site.
Yeah, the manufacture data is hard to find on their web site, but that's not what I was asking you to do. One of those 4 Fluid^2 curves in the iBike2 trainer window is marked "data source: manf". All I was saying is to use that one.

Travis
gavnunns

Post by gavnunns »

http://www.saris.com/comparison/trainers.pdf

Well I found the manufacture power curve, though its not what I would call accurate data graph. My rides show me producing ~310 watts @ 20pmh which seems a little higher than the manf curve, if this is the case which profile should I use?
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

gavnunns wrote:http://www.saris.com/comparison/trainers.pdf

Well I found the manufacture power curve, though its not what I would call accurate data graph. My rides show me producing ~310 watts @ 20pmh which seems a little higher than the manf curve, if this is the case which profile should I use?
Yes, that graph is the source of the manf. for the cycleops trainers.

Are you confident in that 310 W? If so, you might try fine-tuning your resistance by putting more air pressure in your tire. Even though the bulk of the resistance comes from the trainer mechanics, the rolling resistance of the tire on the drum contributes some resistance also. Additional pressure in the tire might be just enough to bring your total resistance to the manufacturer curve.
Foothills Rider

Post by Foothills Rider »

I tried each of the power curves while using a Spinervals training DVD. Finding the correct curve really wasn't that difficult. I could immediately rule out 2 of the curves. I wish I could boast the kinds of watts I was posting with those 2, but they were fantasy readings. Between the remaining two, the manufacturers curve really did report values most consistent with my expectations...I know basically how long I can hold 300W on the road before I hit the red, and same with 400W. The manufacturers curve is the one that best reproduced the length of time I could have at those 2 levels. All the intermediate points seemed very normal for my rides...when I was riding, I could look down at the iBike, and the displayed wattage seemed very consistent with what I felt I am used to seeing on that road at that same level of exertion. Not very quantitative, but definitely has the correct feel to it for me.

Bill
gavnunns

Post by gavnunns »

I think I've discovered my source of confusion of what curve is correct for my trainer.

I have the TREK BY CYCLOPS FLUID SQUARED, now it looks to be a rebadged Cycle-ops fluid2 however by feel the manfacturer curve is off considerably. On a well calibrated computrainer I can average 230-240 watts for a three hour ride, using the manf power curve I'm red-lining in 5 mins trying to hold the same average. The effort level is way off the scale.
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Okay, this is the inherent issue with load curves and calibration issues. The load curves supplied by the manufacturers center around one type of person, one type of overall weight, one type of resistance - but they're all unique to each and every manufacturer. Racermate's original curve is based on a 160lb male and a 25lb. bike. Kinetic's combined weight is 175lbs. So, when you put your Ptap or SRM on there, the numbers will inevitably be different.
gavnunns

Post by gavnunns »

Whareagle wrote:Okay, this is the inherent issue with load curves and calibration issues. The load curves supplied by the manufacturers center around one type of person, one type of overall weight, one type of resistance - but they're all unique to each and every manufacturer. Racermate's original curve is based on a 160lb male and a 25lb. bike. Kinetic's combined weight is 175lbs. So, when you put your Ptap or SRM on there, the numbers will inevitably be different.
Being the bike is suspended and tension is placed on the wheel usually vai an ajustable roller position I'm unclear why bike and ridder weight would make much difference. The biggest differnce I could see occuring between power measured with a powerTap and SRM apart from a slight loss via the drive train would be the resistance between wheel and roller. Any slippage here would cause inaccuracies. Event so the difference would be slight, no more than 10-15 watts.

I'm seeing a percieved effort difference of something closet o 75-100 watts, maybe even more this leads me to belive that the mang curve on the cycle ops 2 is not the correct curve for my trainer. Now I don't need a supper realistic number for indoor training when its too nasty to ride outside if testing and training is done on the same curve consistancy is all that counts. However it would be nice to be close to comparing myt FTP numbers from on the road numbers and training in previous years so I know how I've doing or if I'm improving.
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

gavnunns wrote:
Whareagle wrote:Okay, this is the inherent issue with load curves and calibration issues. The load curves supplied by the manufacturers center around one type of person, one type of overall weight, one type of resistance - but they're all unique to each and every manufacturer. Racermate's original curve is based on a 160lb male and a 25lb. bike. Kinetic's combined weight is 175lbs. So, when you put your Ptap or SRM on there, the numbers will inevitably be different.
Being the bike is suspended and tension is placed on the wheel usually vai an ajustable roller position I'm unclear why bike and ridder weight would make much difference. The biggest differnce I could see occuring between power measured with a powerTap and SRM apart from a slight loss via the drive train would be the resistance between wheel and roller. Any slippage here would cause inaccuracies. Event so the difference would be slight, no more than 10-15 watts.

I'm seeing a percieved effort difference of something closet o 75-100 watts, maybe even more this leads me to belive that the mang curve on the cycle ops 2 is not the correct curve for my trainer. Now I don't need a supper realistic number for indoor training when its too nasty to ride outside if testing and training is done on the same curve consistancy is all that counts. However it would be nice to be close to comparing myt FTP numbers from on the road numbers and training in previous years so I know how I've doing or if I'm improving.
Okay, now this is making some sense. There might be another, different curve that better fits what you're seeing. And I feel your pain on the comparo issue - right now in the Wattage forum, they're debating the pros and cons of CT vs Pt vs SRM vs Ergomo again.... in terms of comparisons on watts.

When the CT is off, it's WAY off. But when it's on, and it's properly calibrated, it's spot-on. The ibike's just using the numbers we were given.

Download 2.0.1 and see if another curve better fits what you're finding, and report back. This might be interesting, to see if there's more of a claim vs. reality issue here that we can take to the manufacturers for questions.