Feature Request: Power Curve for Rollers?

doofus

Feature Request: Power Curve for Rollers?

Post by doofus »

I've been lusting after a set of Tru-Trainers or E-Motions, but I don't see an option for those in the trainer mode menu.

Have they not shared their power curves? I see that E-Motion has a calculator on their site....
R Mc

Re: Feature Request: Power Curve for Rollers?

Post by R Mc »

Under edit trainer settings in the device menu there is a setting to choose roller options: it includes choices for Kreitler and e-motion.
sweet spot

Post by sweet spot »

Doofus,

Get the rollers.

I got some Kreitlers. They're great, the ibike works well with them, and you can put all those workouts on WKO to see your TSB, CTL, ATL, etc.

By the way, in case anyone is curious, it is possible to use a wired ibike power meter indoors.

Just get some rollers. The power curve is triggered by wheel speed, so as long as the front wheel is spinning the computer will say how much power is generated. (I've heard that the wire can be spliced to the rear wheel to work with trainers, but I'm electronically inept).

Also, my indoor and outdoor readings seem pretty similar. I checked this via two methods: 1) I used a friend's bike and Power Tap to see what wattage I was producing at certain speeds; 2) I use a heart-rate monitor. At 240 watts, for example, my heart rate is about 145 both on the rollers and outdoors.

:?: If anyone has more to say about the accuracy of these power curves, especially for Kreitler rollers with 2.5 drums, please let us know.

Rollers rule,
Sweet Spot.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

iBike has a huge list of trainers and rollers. If you don't find your particular one you can always customize one of the existing units.

I personally don't recommend using HR as a barometer of effort. Indoor and outdoor efforts have far differing perceived efforts for me.

Nowadays the only time I use HR is to compare my fitness to the same time last year for example. I used to average about 148HR for about 145watt average. Now, I average 137HR for the same average power. So in my book, I'm better fit and don't have to work as hard on any given effort. I train strictly by power.
Fernando
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

My opinion on HR is twofold - get your heart rate up high enough for cardio work, but not so high that all you are doing is anaerobic/red-line training. The middle ground is where your body will make improvements and gain the most from your efforts. So if you look at 5 levels for your HR - level 1 and 5 are the ones that do either not enough or too much for your heart and it is best to stay in 2 and 3 more than 4.

The attached is the typical range based on MAX HR (for a 62 YO) and is just a guide for each level. You can find HR calculators all over the place. Also, many suggest that MAX HR is far from the best method to target - Lactate threshold or mean lactate level HR values seem to have favor in many camps. Still, breaking up the HR training into zones is a useful concept; one that can avoid your need to call 911.

So the balance of power output and maintaining a given percentage of time in HR zones will help you keep from overdoing it or not getting enough benefit out of your rides/rollers.

NOTE: The screenshot is of the setup used for the software program Ascent (Mac Only!)

Tom
Attachments
screenshot_01.jpg
screenshot_01.jpg (73.46 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
Last edited by lorduintah on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
doofus

Post by doofus »

the e-motions are pretty tempting

any word on whether the tru trainer power curve will be in trainer updates?

I dig those, but if they're not compatible with the iBike trainer mode....