Power not showing up, Wind questions

thooey

Power not showing up, Wind questions

Post by thooey »

I just got my ibike newton this week, so am in a steep learning curve. I've done calibration ride and everything seemed to work right.

I rode the other day and noticed my cadence sensor wasn't being picked up and couldn't get it working until about 3/4 through the ride. During the ride, even with no cadence, power was displaying on the head unit, and was being received by my Garmin 510 as well. When I uploaded my ride to Strava (from Garmin unit) it shows the power data. When I open the file in Isaac there is no power for much of the ride.

1. Why did it show on my Newton during the ride, and Strava after I uploaded it.
2. Is the power data on Strava "accurate" ?

On a side note, can someone please explain the differences between ground wind, wind and bike speed? When I look at the Effort Speed graph it shows wind peaking around 7 mph, which sounds right but the advanced stats chart in Issac shows Wind average of 17.9 and max of 47.6. I'm guessing that's a combination of bike and actual wind but I'm not sure. I'm trying to verify if my wind calibration is off.

Thanks.
Attachments
iBike_03_11_2015_1120_22_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(711.09 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Russ

Re: Power not showing up, Wind questions

Post by Russ »

Hi thooey,

I took a look at your ride with Isaac and tried the tool/repair for missing cadance. Well the power for the repaired section went out of sight (unless you are a very high end rider) but did not seem reasonable to me. So I have no clue about that, I wonder if the strava power data captured by your Garmin was 'normal' assuming the 'repaired' power is not?

John likely will need to weight in on this ride file.

The wind shown in the blue on the graph is relative to the bike speed (above or below) so yes it is additive with either a positive or negative sign or +head -tail wind, if you will. In the Newton you can select to display either absolute or relative wind speed but Isaac will display the same.

Russ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Russ wrote:Hi thooey,

I took a look at your ride with Isaac and tried the tool/repair for missing cadance. Well the power for the repaired section went out of sight (unless you are a very high end rider) but did not seem reasonable to me. So I have no clue about that, I wonder if the strava power data captured by your Garmin was 'normal' assuming the 'repaired' power is not?

John likely will need to weight in on this ride file.

The wind shown in the blue on the graph is relative to the bike speed (above or below) so yes it is additive with either a positive or negative sign or +head -tail wind, if you will. In the Newton you can select to display either absolute or relative wind speed but Isaac will display the same.

Russ
There is a bug in Isaac for the Repair cadence feature. We will fix this.
John Hamann
thooey

Post by thooey »

Thank you both for your help.

Russ, how do I get my newton to display update the absolute or relative wind speed display? I've tried looking in the manual but couldn't find it.

Thanks again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In the Newton 5, wind speed displayed on the screen is the ground wind speed. We no longer offer the option to set the display to total wind speed (ground + bike).
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thooey,

Sorry for the bum steer, Thanks to John for the straight scoop!
I am an old man and my memory works when it wants to, usually at the wrong time :D

Russ
thooey

Post by thooey »

Russ, Thanks for your help, too!
swirusek

Post by swirusek »

what a shame that display only ground wind.