Help with RWS

blueraidermike

Help with RWS

Post by blueraidermike »

Having issues when I use the RWS...for my Tri bike I like to use a bottle between the aero bars and thought this would be perfect. But the last two rides, I have ended up pulling the tube out of the wind port and placing the bottle behind my seat so I can get accurate readings. There are two inches between the Newton and the bottle, no kinks in the tube.

Here is the ride file from yesterday...this was an easy ride at lunch. At around mile 9 I unplugged the port and my power read much higher (more accurate) - due to the measurement of the wind - this was an out and back course.

I can attached the ride file, but not sure how to do it...someone explain? I see all the ability to insert things but they just paste text in the body of this message
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Help with RWS

Post by Velocomp »

Please post photos of your TT setup.

To attach a ride file, click on the "Upload Attachment" tab below the place where you type your post.
John Hamann
blueraidermike

Post by blueraidermike »

iBike_07_21_2014_2349_21_Miles.ibr
(415.76 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
iBike_07_21_2014_2349_21_Miles.ibr
(415.76 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
tt set up with RWS plugged in
Attachments
ibike RWS Plugged.JPG
ibike RWS Plugged.JPG (140.44 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your RWS is working fine. Your wind readings are completely normal for the first part of the ride.

When you pulled out your RWS at mile 8.5 your wind readings turned into consistent "flames" indicating that your wind readings are wrong.

It looks like you are getting decent wind readings even without the RWS.

You can try another cal ride without the RWS. However, you will need to always ride with your water bottle in place.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 5.28.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 5.28.25 PM.png (418.18 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
John Hamann
blueraidermike

Post by blueraidermike »

So are you saying the watts up to Mile 9 were accurate? The reason why I question it is some of the hills are steep - over 4% incline, its hard to get over them only putting out 140 watts.

I really want to get this figured out!
blueraidermike

Post by blueraidermike »

iBike_10_26_2013_0925_57_Miles.ibr
(876.07 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Before I redo my CAL ride, can you review this ride. This was a race last year.

Please let me know if the settings appear right. I had the RWS set up the same, but felt like the ride was fairly accurate.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blueraidermike wrote:So are you saying the watts up to Mile 9 were accurate? The reason why I question it is some of the hills are steep - over 4% incline, its hard to get over them only putting out 140 watts.

I really want to get this figured out!
The total weight of you and bike in these rides is 148 pounds. This seems very light; your bike + gear probably weighs 25 pounds by itself.

If the weight is wrong then that would explain low watts on the hills.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blueraidermike wrote:
iBike_10_26_2013_0925_57_Miles.ibr
Before I redo my CAL ride, can you review this ride. This was a race last year.

Please let me know if the settings appear right. I had the RWS set up the same, but felt like the ride was fairly accurate.
This ride looks OK. Interestingly, it has a different profile, and that profile has a wind scaling factor that is nearly identical to the modified profile I uploaded on your other thread.
John Hamann
blueraidermike

Post by blueraidermike »

'I am a small guy...126 lbs (Only 5'4") and at race weight. My bike without bottles weights 21 lbs, so with nutrition that may had up to 3 more lbs. So I could bump it up some. My FTP is 215-220 - tested indoors on different systems. Maybe my FTP is really lower?

The profile on the ride from last year was a different profile...lower FTP, a bit more weight at the time. I have also adjusted some of the other values - like CdA and Crr. I had to send in my ibike earlier this summer and you guys reset the device, so had to do a new CAL ride.

So what is your recommendation - re do the CAL ride? If I ride in a TT position where should I put the CdA and Crr values? Does the pic earlier in the thread with the RWS look OK? Really want to use the tool to race, I have a HIM(3 weeks) and IM in Nov.

Not looking for perfection, but need to be more accurate.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You are a very light rider, so the good news is that it doesn't take huge amounts of power to climb hills.

Your 57 mile race had 170 average watts, about 80% of your FTP of 211W. For a 57 mile race this seems like a very reasonable number...

I would redo the Cal Ride. There is no reason to adjust CdA and Crr values.

After doing a Cal Ride I would recommend doing a Fitness Test. This will establish your FTP using your TT bike and setup.

If you do a Fitness Test please post the result.
John Hamann
blueraidermike

Post by blueraidermike »

John,

This morning I did a new cal ride and then did a 20 mile ride....can you look at these and see if they seem accurate? I road these with RWS inserted.
Attachments
iBike_08_01_2014_0814_20_Miles.ibr
Ride after Cal ride
(211.18 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
iBike_08_01_2014_0804_3_Miles_CalRide.ibr
Cal Ride
(42.73 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Looks GREAT!

When I check ride file calibration, what I always do is look at the first ride AFTER the cal ride. The subsequent ride includes the factors measured during the cal ride.

Your ride looks good because wind speed readings don't show suspicious "flames" or "icicles". Also, CdA and Crr numbers are normal. Your weight is normal.

So, you're ready to go...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 8.55.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 8.55.35 AM.png (386.74 KiB) Viewed 7810 times
John Hamann