Crit Racing with the iBike

JulianBoulter

Crit Racing with the iBike

Post by JulianBoulter »

Rode my first crit with the iBike last week, really interesting data.
ibikecrit.jpg
ibikecrit.jpg (211.78 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Aside from the power data which is the primary focus I find it interesting to see how much I was drafting thereby saving energy and exactly where I left the main group to chase down breaks (shown as not drafting).

During the race I was watching the wind data and averaging about -14mph wind speed whilst in the group, anytime I strayed outside the group a bit it dropped to -5mph so I knew I was using more energy, so I used the wind reading to tell me when I was nice and sheltered again.

The other interesting data to study afterwards is my gear selection which I can see with the gear ratio data, the amount of braking, and the times when I was out of the saddle, I also get a summary of each lap with timings and average power if I use analyze route in Issac.

So iBike gives me way more than any regular power meter will give me!
:D

Note that my Garmin speed sensor packed up 4 miles before the end due to mud on the sensor so the final few laps are not shown
racerfern

Re: Crit Racing with the iBike

Post by racerfern »

I am thoroughly impressed! By taking advantage of the wind display you don't have to worry about chasing wildly fluctuating power numbers. Just stay in the pack and break out only when you absolutely have to.

Also, lots of wasted watts!
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Crit Racing with the iBike

Post by Velocomp »

Very cool!
John Hamann