Time Trialling with the iBike

JulianBoulter

Time Trialling with the iBike

Post by JulianBoulter »

Rode my first Time Trial event with the iBike tonight and I have to say I think it really helped with the pacing. One of the great features that doesn't seem to really get mentioned too much is the ability to display wind speed and direction in real time, it spurred me on to to push a little harder when I could see a headwind, anyway I knocked off a whopping 30 seconds from my PB so training and racing with the iBike is paying off!

Julian

PS the website is looking fantastic, well done guys!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Time Trialling with the iBike

Post by Velocomp »

Great result with your time trial!

We will give wind speed some more prominence.

Thanks too for your nice comment about the website. We did a lot of work to get it in shape...
John Hamann
Pete

Post by Pete »

What time average filter do people use for time trials?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I would use 10 seconds. It gives a nice, smooth number.
John Hamann
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

Velocomp wrote:I would use 10 seconds. It gives a nice, smooth number.
Yes 10 seconds is good and the Time Trial Interval Workouts setting is exactly what you need displaying Average Watts, Current Watts and timer on one screen.

By the way another very useful feature which surprisingly never gets mentioned is the Gear Ratio data, that feature is so useful for training and post race analysis, I use it all the time to make sure my interval work is consistent both on the indoor trainer and on the road. I use something like this to convert the data into the actual cog selection: http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

I'm really looking forward to using the iBike in crit races this season, in addition to all the Power/Wind related data I think it will be really insightful to see how my gear selection affected my race.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I often use the “Fit Train / User” function, not just in intervals and TT but also in criteriums so that I have the elapsed time handy.

One gripe I have relates to when you select “Fit Train / User” the time at zero is flashing and when you start the time & averaging will automatically start.
However this auto start feature will time out after a minute or so (the zero time will stop flashing).
The problem is that when this occurs you cannot (easily) manually start the timing.
This might be because you are held on a TT start line for longer than the timeout or before a crit the commissaire might keep talking too long.
If you don’t check it soon enough after starting you may not even realise timing has not started until too late.
You then have to long press right to "end train" and then long press right again to re-enter "Fit Train" - which will now start automatically becuase you are moving - but you don't want to be doing this at the start of a TT or whenever.

When the interval mode is operating you can easily re-start a new interval by a press of the centre button.
It would be good if either (or both) could happen:
1. The auto start did not time out
2. You could manually start the interval with a push of the centre button at any time (eg after timeout if there is need for it)

Also when pressing the centre button to start a new interval, it would be better if it did not start until you are moving.
So if you press for a new interval say on a start line or at traffic lights, you are effectively in the auto-start mode as per when coming into the mode fresh.
Pete
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

These are great comments and we will see what we can do.
John Hamann