Pair Ibike speed sensor with USB ANT+ stick?

PanaRob

Pair Ibike speed sensor with USB ANT+ stick?

Post by PanaRob »

Ibikers, I have a Gen III i aero that I do not use much these days since I switched to a wired PowerTap SL. However, I intend to use it for pacing during half IM races, since I can calibrate it with the PowerTap for nice solo TT accuracy (sans drafting). That way I can use my rear Zipp wheel instead of the heavier PowerTap hub laced to BR racelite.

My question is, does anyone know if or how I can pair the wireless speed sensor to an Ant+ USB stick? Wanted to trial the software at www.trainerroad.com and need to transmit wireless speed to my computer. Obviously I could upgrade the firmware on the gen III to the GT (and also transmit cadence, power, HR) but not worth spending the extra $100 now that gen III is no longer supported and "obsolete."
racerfern

Re: Pair Ibike speed sensor with USB ANT+ stick?

Post by racerfern »

I have my G3 paired to an ANT stick for trainerroad and it works fine. However I also have the GT key so I'm not sure if the key is absolutely needed.

That said you will have to have the "trainer key" for the G3 so it can calculate the power based on the trainer you have.

I don't use trainerroad.com any longer. Now I export as csv and upload to Strava since they track training fatigue and stress for premium users.
Fernando
PanaRob

Re: Pair Ibike speed sensor with USB ANT+ stick?

Post by PanaRob »

Thanks for the info. I do have trainer firmware unlocked. However I believe I also need $100 firmware to unlock GT : (

So sounds like the Garmin Ant+ USB will pair up with the ibike speed sensor. That is enough to get me going so I can try the trainerroad app and then check datafile with the powertap to ensure accuracy.