new iBike Newton, last ride not recorded?

rbe

new iBike Newton, last ride not recorded?

Post by rbe »

My last ride of 102 miles does not download and does not appear to have been recorded.

Background. I completed my StartUp, including the Calibration ride. I then took 2 subsequent rides of 18 and 50 miles. Then, this past Saturday, I did the 102 mile ride. Today, when I charged and downloaded for the first time after riding, I see entries for my 18 and 50 mile rides, but NOT for my Saturday, April 6 102 mile ride. The iBike Newton was on through the end of my ride as I saw the 102 mile distance in the display. When I went to download, I pressed my center button to turn on the Newton, but nothing happened. My assumption is that the battery may have run down since the last ride? Anyway, I plugged into my computer with the USB and the Newton began charging. Then, I proceeded during this process to download my rides, and then became aware that my last 102 mile ride was not in the data.

Have others encountered this? Could it have anything to do with the battery going down before downloading (this does not make sense to me as the other rides downloaded fine.

Rob
Last edited by rbe on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
racerfern

Re: new iBike Newton, last ride not recorded?

Post by racerfern »

It's really hard to say what could have happened. Post any ride you did download here and I'll see if there are any clues.

Also, try doing a hard reset by holding left middle right and down button at the same time. You won't lose any data and maybe you might be able to resurrect something.
Fernando
rbe

Post by rbe »

Thanks for the reply, racerfern.

I just took an evening ride with a Tuesday night group, and that ride did record. My Newton was fully charged before going out on the ride and Isaac appears to have downloaded and analyzed the data just fine. The question for me remains what happened to the recording of my Saturday ride of April 6, when during the ride the Newton seemed to work fine throughout.

Attached is a JPEG file showing the iBike ride files. There, it can be seen that there are rides for April 3 and April 9, but not for April 6.

As you suggested, I have also included a ride file (if I understood you correctly) -- it is the last ride (a practice ride on trainers, if I am not mistaken, on April 3) preceding the April 6 ride.

I will try the hard reset, as you suggest, as well, to see if this produces anything.

Rob
Attachments
iBike_04_03_2013_1916_6_Miles.ibr
last ride file before April 6 ride that did not record
(118.62 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
List of ride files as of 9april'13
List of ride files as of 9april'13
List of ride files, rob, 9april'13.jpg (108.99 KiB) Viewed 6992 times
Davis6022

Post by Davis6022 »

Look at the rides that are dated 3_12_2013. These might be your missing rides.

This is the default date of the last firmware upgrade. You may have accidentally reset the Newton during the rides.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Look at the rides that are dated 3_12_2013. These might be your missing rides.
Agreed! Download everything again. It might be there.

After that, consider erasing just after a few rides or just download and erase after every ride. That also ensures the unit stays charged.

If for some reason you do a ton of long rides before downloading then switch from 1 second to 5 second recording.
Fernando
rbe

Post by rbe »

to davis6022 and racerfern

Thanks for the replies. As suggested, I went to the six files with "3-12-2013" in the filenames (I did not own the unit at this time; I only acquired the Newton on 3-25 (March 25, 20013). There are six files there under that date (3-12), and NONE of the actual miles in the opened files match the mileage figures in the filenames...? [In my "good" later-dated files, the miles in the filenames match the mileage in the opened file displays.]

However, interestingly, the sum of these six "3-12" files (100.46 miles) approximates the distance of the missing 102 mile April 6 (4-6) ride. But I am wondering if this is coincidence with the (i) different date in the filenames (3-12), (ii) number of different files instead of one, and (iii) minor discrepancy in mileage. If not coincidence, I wonder what I could have done to effect this so that I can avoid doing it again in the future.

My initial feeling was that those 3-12 files (prior to my ownership of the unit) were perhaps pre-shipping unit test rides by iBike or that maybe my unit was from an earlier purchaser who had chosen to return the unit after some rides, but that the old 3-12 rides had not been erased....

Thanks again for the feedback and insight. I will continue to ride, download regularly, and study the software and hardware manuals more.

Rob
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

So... if the battery in the Newton is low it will end the ride, save the data and start a new ride. This can happen a couple of times before the battery actually gives out. It does this seamlessly so the data displayed still shows totals although it's been split into separate so as to lose as little data as possible.

Keep your unit charged up and if doing long rides, clear out memory.
Fernando
rbe

Post by rbe »

Thanks, Fernando. That seems to make sense. I will take your advice and knowledge and apply it to future Newton use.

Regards, Rob
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

racerfern wrote:So... if the battery in the Newton is low it will end the ride, save the data and start a new ride. This can happen a couple of times before the battery actually gives out. It does this seamlessly so the data displayed still shows totals although it's been split into separate so as to lose as little data as possible.

Keep your unit charged up and if doing long rides, clear out memory.
Actually it is what happened to me first time yesterday with my Gen3. And second time today :-)
I had thought before reading your post that it must have happened because my unit accidently removed from the mount, but now I understood that this "feature" is a clear warning to replace battery in my Gen3.