Gen II, com port

tess360

Gen II, com port

Post by tess360 »

Yes, I'm still using a Gen II unit. Works great. As so often happens, I connect the unit to my computer and there's a com port problem, so my computer won't recognize the device. I'm on a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. Isaac 1.0.2. NI-VISA 5.1.2. I tried the SI Labs USB driver. I uninstalled NI-VISA and reinstalled it. What else can I do?
lorduintah

Re: Gen II, com port

Post by lorduintah »

This used to work for ma when I had a II --- you post did not mention that you followed the uninstall directions.

The National Instruments folder in your Applications folder contains NI-VISA - inside there is a text file listing "uninstall" locations of several files - make sure you have navigated to each and deleted them - you may need to use the Terminal program rather then the finder to get to them, but that typically is not necessary and just navigate as you would by opening the appropriate folder locations.

Since the device driver runs as a daemon - you should reboot after removing all these files and emptying the trash.

Do not do any of this with the iBike still connected.

Tom
tess360

Post by tess360 »

Thank you for your suggestions, Tom. I've done the complete uninstall, trashing all the folders, emptying the trash, restarting the computer and reinstalling, three times now. Nothing. I still get the error that the ibike needs to use com port 1-64.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tess
Russ

Post by Russ »

This is a shot in the dark (kind of). I do not know osx but I do know unix. So I did a search and some tips in this link (there are several variations of solutions if you read it all) may help (or not). Mostly tips involving locks that are left lying around.

Regards,
Russ

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,49173.0.html
tess360

Post by tess360 »

Russ,

Thanks for looking at this. There were no java files you mentioned and nothing in my library/java/extensions. As another last resort, I uninstalled everything, emptied the trash and reinstalled, and for whatever reason that worked! I am back in business and very happy to be.

I appreciate this forum so much.

Thanks guys,
Tess