Newton tilt calibration, CalRide and auto-tilt adjustment

NorBike

Newton tilt calibration, CalRide and auto-tilt adjustment

Post by NorBike »

Is there any point doing Tilt calibration before a ride, and CalRides (exept for Wind scaling)? Newton auto-adjust tilt within the first 5 minutes of a ride anyway?...If so, which "error" does the auto-tilt function "repair"?..."large" error from a bad til calibration or "small" error the same way a cal ride does, or both?

Second question. I understand the auto-tilt function work in 5 minutes intervals for the whole ride. If the wind port is blocked by water/rain midway of a ride, does that affect the altimeter sensor?...and then the auto-tilt adjustment?

Thanks

Norbike
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton tilt calibration, CalRide and auto-tilt adjustment

Post by Velocomp »

Tilt cal and Cal Rides are meant to be done one time...period.

If your mount isn't rock-solid tight, then it's possible tilt can shift some, or perhaps the screw is not as firmly attached.

In any event, the auto-adjust checks things continuously and makes fine-tuning adjustments during the ride. The wind sensor is not involved in the adjustments.

The auto-adjust is an overall adjustment that corrects both factors.

A blocked wind sensor has no affect on the altimeter or the auto-tilt.
John Hamann
NorBike

Re: Newton tilt calibration, CalRide and auto-tilt adjustment

Post by NorBike »

Velocomp wrote:Tilt cal and Cal Rides are meant to be done one time...period.

If your mount isn't rock-solid tight, then it's possible tilt can shift some, or perhaps the screw is not as firmly attached.

In any event, the auto-adjust checks things continuously and makes fine-tuning adjustments during the ride. The wind sensor is not involved in the adjustments.

The auto-adjust is an overall adjustment that corrects both factors.

A blocked wind sensor has no affect on the altimeter or the auto-tilt.

Q 1. If I understand correct Tilt Cal and Cal Rides is not really necessary if we only look at gravity wattage/slope measurement?...and CalRide is only necessary for fric calc?

Q 2. My riding tilt is -0,2% (in Edit Profiles/advanced menu). I have a 4km hillclimb which is 376m in vertical. Newton shows 9,3% but I know it is 9,4% = 0,1% difference (4 meters). If I adjust my riding tilt to be 0,1%, can i "override" the difference, or would the auto-tilt function adjust this back when riding?

My mount is rock solid, but I can sometimes see 0,2-0,5% tilt difference from one day to another on my marked/measured garage spot.

Norbike