tilt calibration

donnybike

tilt calibration

Post by donnybike »

On behalf of my friends, I want to double check tilt calibration.
The manual says,
" the Tilt Calibration process is performed only one time. You do not need to repeat it."
Does it mean that the new unit Newton has some sort of auto adjustment mechanism to compensate deflation of tire?
If not, the sentence may be misleading.

And Racerfern recommended that wind cal should be done only one time when cal ride is done. After that, we don't need to do it again. Is this what velocomp recommend?
Jim Behrens

Re: tilt calibration

Post by Jim Behrens »

I agree with Fernando, I haven't done a wind check in quite some time.
Don't know how it works but it does.
OTOH, with the rain of the last week I can barely remember riding!
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Does it mean that the new unit Newton has some sort of auto adjustment mechanism to compensate deflation of tire?
How much do you think tire deflation can have to do with tilt over the course of a ride if both tires deflate at the same rate?

OTOH, if one tire is going flat Newton will adjust for this. It's not a matter of doing a tilt calibration, it's a matter of the internal sensors accounting for the difference between tilt being skewed and the actual accelerometers figuring things out. I've experienced this first hand. It's cool stuff.
Fernando
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Donnybike -

I took this down on my own.

I sympathise with you for writing a clarifying question for those that are not fluent in English - and for those new to the Newton/iBike world of power metering. Still - I am inclined to use the Newton and my Garmin GPS for exercise and training - so the repeated checking of the devices has become very unnecessary -

Tom
Last edited by lorduintah on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnybike

Post by donnybike »

Lorduintah
Please read my original question, starting "on behalf of My Friends".
This question is not about me. It is about foreign users who can not write a question in english.
I just want to clarify things that i am not sure 100% before giving them a definite answer.
In my opinion, this site should be on device, not about training method.
In general, i have the same attitude with you on how to use ibike day by day.
Regards,
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

donnybike wrote:On behalf of my friends, I want to double check tilt calibration.
The manual says,
" the Tilt Calibration process is performed only one time. You do not need to repeat it."
If not, the sentence may be misleading.

And Racerfern recommended that wind cal should be done only one time when cal ride is done. After that, we don't need to do it again. Is this what velocomp recommend?
Yes, the Newton constantly checks tilt calibration. In the event there is a slow-leaking tire, the Newton will figure it out and adjust automatically. When the tire is replaced, the Newton will figure that out too, after the first 5 minutes.

Yes, with the Newton we recommend that the Cal Wind be done one time--then forget it!
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Not to hijack this thread, but I am curious how is this feature is any different than on my Gen III? My iSport does the same thing after 5 minutes. The only problem is, is that if the tilt is way off my power numbers are thrown off for the first 5 minutes, and it throws the averages and Max's off. And being an iSport, I' can't download the workout/commute and fix it.

Thnx
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The tilt calibration feature is the same for your iSport. Assuming you have a proper tilt calibration even the first 5 minutes will be accurate. If you are constantly changing the position of the iSport for whatever reason then you will have to do a tilt calibration. Also if you move it from one bike to another you will need to do a tilt calibration.

If wattage jumps high one time and low the next during the first 5 minutes then something's loose, either the mount or on the bike itself.
Fernando
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I use my iSport on 2 bikes, using a Topeak extender as a cheap mount I can switch from bike to bike. I also take my isoprt off after every ride so I can put the numbers into MapMyRide. So, every time I put it back on it moves a bit. I am aware this is my problem, and am more than willing to spend a few minutes fussing than spending $150-$200 for a proper solution.

I was more curious as to why it is now said you needn't do a tilt cal on the new Newton, but was almost recommended to do it every ride with my gen III, yet nothing seems to have changed in the programming. I suspect it has to do with the improved mounts, but are there other differences?

Thank you,
Rich
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We don't use the Topeak Xtender any more; our new mount is much more stable.

Your problem is the shifting tilt calibration. If you do a Tilt Cal prior to every ride you should get much better results.
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I was more curious as to why it is now said you needn't do a tilt cal on the new Newton...
IF you had a steady mount, you could do a tilt cal for each profile and you would have good results for all bikes. That would require two Topeak extenders and two mounts, one for each bike so that the only thing that moved is the iSport from one bike to the other. The Newton is a massive improvement and something you really should consider.
Fernando
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Oh, I am really considering the Newton, trust me. But honestly, I just don't make enough to play the powermeter game, even at iBike prices. I have my iSport, and counting my blessings I have that.

But I really don't have an issue with tilt, as I know the causes, and to to a tilt cal often, although I do appreciate the advice. I was just curious what made the Newton so much better, that tilt is no longer a concern even though the programming didn't seem to change.

Thank you,
Rich