Can Someone weigh in On this thread

heith

Can Someone weigh in On this thread

Post by heith »

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... qF2wJosI8c
I just bought an SRM and switch between my G500 and Newton as a head unit. The thread above has been an interesting topic on the Wattage google group. I was wondering if you guys could put in two cents on how you process the info.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Can Someone weigh in On this thread

Post by Velocomp »

It has been years since we posted anything on the wattage forum; the particular thread you point to is a good example of why we no longer do so.

It's kinda fun to read through, though; if we have anything to report we will do so here. :D
John Hamann
heith

Post by heith »

I understand..Their bias and narrow minded approach is sometimes mind blowing considering how smart some of them are.
This particular thread seemed to interest me due to the fact of accuracy and/or lack of. I have not received the SRM yet and currently use the PT G3. I'm only doing it for rim/wheel choices and deal I got. But maybe I shouldn't. I mostly use the Newton+ as a head unit. I like Issac, battery life, and the new mount. Issac lets me geek out.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Check out OS2 for your Newton, just released. Maybe you should send back your SRM :)

There likely is a really simple fix for the 3 second nightmare described in the wattage forum thread, but we're checking to make sure we are correct.

If so we will report it here.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are testing now a Newton firmware update that fixes this very real DFPM problem.

We do it as a service to our friends who own DFPMs; since they've spent all that money to get great accuracy, it seems like they would be happier if it was really true. :D
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This illustrates the problem.

Notice that the (crank-based, very expensive) PM in green shows a very odd horizontal step for a few seconds AFTER the cyclist has stopped pedaling. In a crit, these zero-cadence errors add up, causing power to be over-reported by 6% or more...

It seems like the DFPM guys should say: we are accurate within +/- 2%, except when we are not (probably, when you are racing!)...

We will show our solution for this, hopefully tomorrow!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 9.26.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 9.26.16 PM.png (205.71 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
John Hamann
heith

Post by heith »

It's amazing how fast you guys are at fixing other peoples problems.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are testing corrective FW now.

Here's a screenshot of some power surges, followed by abrupt cessation of pedaling.

Note that the DFPM no longer shows any false watts...

We have found that false watts readings can extend as much as 5 seconds after pedaling stops!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 7.10.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 7.10.53 PM.png (205.21 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The false watts issue reported on the wattage forum has been confirmed in our testing, both for SRM and Quarq DFPMs.

We will soon post OS 2.11, which corrects the false watts issue for the crank DFPMs. Ride files recorded with the Newton will not include the false watts data. Please note that this is a firmware fix, not an after-the-ride software patch.

Also, OS 2.11 does a lot more than fix our competitor's problems; we will report other improvements separately.
John Hamann