iAero questions

Zoltan

iAero questions

Post by Zoltan »

1) If I opt for FILT ON, just thje displayed data is smoothed over appr 4 seconds, or also the logged and downloaded data?

2) DFPM manual says

"Power Screen (CdA off): Speed/Power/Cadence-HR. The power
and cadence data displayed on the iAero screen are measured
by the DFPM. However, the iAero is recording iAero AND DFPM data
together.

Power Screen (CdA on): Speed/Power/Cadence-HR-CdA-Time
Advantage. The power and cadence data displayed on the iAero screen
are measured by the DFPM. CdA and Time Advantage data are
measured by the iAero and DFPM together."

2/a) If I have a cadence sensor paired to iAero, which is more accurate than the cadence data coming from any Powertap hub, why the latter is used and not the former? I suppose that in case of SRM and Cinco it is the same due to crank based power measurement, but Powertap is not accurate in cadence reading, so as a general rule it would be better to give a preference to a cadence sensor if any.

2/b) Does the bolded part mean that not just the power data of both iAero and DFPM are recorded by iAero, but also the cadence of both iAero and DFPM?
Zoltan

Re: iAero questions

Post by Zoltan »

May I kindly repeat my questions? Does anybody here have the answers? If so, thank you for sharing it.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Zoltan,

Yes the set filt smoothing only smooths iBike displayed data. It does not alter the recorded data in any way. Then in Isaac software, the smoothing setting there only smooths the displayed graph, also does not change the basic data. The two smoothing choices are totally independent.

Russ
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Thanks
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

2) I checked some csv files of those rides where I had my Powertap paired with iAero. Definitely there is just one cadence in the csv files, not two.
So the manual can be a bit more precise. I guess it should simply say that even if there is not a cadence sensor paired, both the crank based SRM and Quark and the hub based Powertap are able to send the cadence data to iAero.

My finding is that if cadence sensor is paired with iAero it overrides the cadence data of my Powertap. Thanks for God, I hate the cadence data of PT due to its unreliability (I mean fake RPMs even over 200).
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Maybe I deserve the RTFM reply (i have read all of them, maybe I just missed some part), but what does the horizontal bar on iAero mean? And the number of 1oo below the power data? It can go upto 8oo, but I could not figure out when exactly.

Thanks
KenS

Post by KenS »

The bar shows your instantaneous power graphically with no delay. The small number below is the scale - power level for a full bar.
-- Ken
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I am afraid the horizontal bar is not in line with the displayed power. At least in my case. I use a DFPM, so maybe the length of the bar is specified by the instantaneous power calculated by iAero, which is not displayed. There seems to be a stronger correlation between the scale of 1-8 and the displayed power, but I am not convinced that the scale shows the range defined by the DFPM power, maybe by iBike power.

What do you think?
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

As mentioned by KEN -

The total possible length of the bar fluctuates as the power increases or decreases (rescales the possible max power represented by the bar). It IS NOT CONSTANT (unless your output is fairly constant) and therefore will not alone represent say a range of 100 to 800 Watts.

If you look a little closer, there is a small number that is near the bar - this may show 100, 200, 400, etc - which is the range for the full length of the bar at that time. So half the bar at 100 is around 50 Watts, while at a max of 400, the middle will be around 200 Watts.

Tom
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Thanks to you both.

Actually normally my English is good enough to get the point, this time I missed "for the full bar".

But for whom is this feature useful? If somebody cannot see the bigger 3-digit power number he will be not able to decode the small scale number.

Is it just a fancy feature or are there times when it is easier for someone to check the bar and the scale number than the digital power number? Or is it for those who use the "Filt" to get a non-smoothed power data?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Zoltan,

The bar seems most useful, to me, when doing intervals or a 20 minute test where I am trying to maintain a target power. I get early warning that I am slacking up, etc.

Russ