Slow intergration

x.l.r.8

Slow intergration

Post by x.l.r.8 »

Hi everyone, looking for some compatibility answers.I have been using a garmin FR60 with the bike sensor for a few years and pleased with the results, then I decided I wanted to start seeing how power may be of help in my training. So brought a ibike used for a steal thinking at worst it will be a decent bike computer. I'm guessing it's an early one, it came with a wired cadence/speed sensor mount, however it did not have the display for cadence so I had to upgrade the firmware to get this feature.
Right now I have my garmin for my heart rate and calorie count as it's from my heart rate and the ibike for the rest, the results are almost identical so I want to be able to introduce the heart rate to the ibike and loose the garmin. Reading around I see the garmin sensor is compatible with the wireless ibike mount. Now I see different answers regarding the compatibility of the heartrate sync, I know things change as the new releases of software become available, but if I buy the wireless mount will my garmin hardware integrate or do I need to start buying additional software. Also I'm using a mac with a PPC chip not intel so I need to make sure I can get the thing to still sync (had a few issues getting the software to communicate with the device with eventually finding a driver/program combination that worked. I don't think I can do without power now I've been using it for a month but I hate wired sensors and would love to de-clutter my bike of gadgets. Any conformation of compatibility would be great. I will check which version of computer I have, I can only assume it's an early one with the original software not even supporting the cadence sensor. While I say it was used, it was still new in the box so had no experience from the previous owner.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Slow intergration

Post by Velocomp »

You will need to purchase a rechargeable wireless mount for your iBike.

Make sure your FW is current.

Any ANT+ sensor will work with your iBike and wireless mount. So, your Garmin sensors will work just fine.

Your iBike software should work, too.
John Hamann
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

Any ideas how to purchase somewhere other than the ibike site as I cannot seem to prosess order, I enter paypal information, then it says
An error has occurred.

Please contact the site administrator to report the problem.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

x.l.r.8 wrote:Any ideas how to purchase somewhere other than the ibike site as I cannot seem to prosess order, I enter paypal information, then it says
An error has occurred.

Please contact the site administrator to report the problem.
Please email Tom Gore tgore@velocomp.com Tom will help you with this issue.
John Hamann
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

I have my wireless rechargeable mount, fitted it and...........failed to sense my garmin speed/cadence sensor, it see's the heart rate monitor as it shows my heart rate climbing while I try and figure this out. I have my fr60 next to it and that instantly see's the cadence and speed, even after a rest. If I more the ibike on the mount to the sensor it is still does not pick up? but no issues for the heart rate monitor. The firmware shows as up to date 1.18 Being smart I have 2 bikes both set up with the garmin sensors so i put it on my tri bike and still no joy, again the garmins works fine. I reset the sensors and hat them live and still the fail message. The heart rate monitor was fount in 5 seconds, the speed/cad takes around 30 seconds to fail. Serial number is 06-28-06-04-01-01-00-00-00-00-00-00-AB-7E-10-3E
In my original question i asked if additional software was needed, I hope this is not the case as I was told that the sensors would work fine. Any help would be gratefully received as I would like to get the additional hardware off the bike ASAP. I went through the trouble shooting procedures and nothing seems to be working.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Is your iBike a 2nd generation or 3rd? IOW is the red button behind the LCD screen or in front of it?
Fernando
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

It's in front of it, being its furthest away from the user and near the wind port.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Looks like you have a gen 1 iBike....

"check your serial #. Look for the 4th set of numbers, xx-xx-xx-04 means Gen 1, 05 means Gen2, 06 means Gen 3."

http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... mber#p5129

Russ
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

I posted the serial no. And it is indeed a 1st gen. I am going to be very dissappointed is after spending so much on a wireless mount its not going to work. Any help would be gratefully received
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

Still not able to use my I Ike with the handlebar mount, feel like I just got duped out of $300, can anyone confirm or deny if my 1st gen ibike will work with this wireless bike mount?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You're almost there. Maybe you can get hold of a set of iBike sensors, the older ones that are separate cadence and speed units. One sensor does both, you just have to flip a little switch.
Fernando
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

I don't know if I'm prepared to continue spending money on a product with little/no support. I was confidently told any ant+ sensors will work, now they don't I'm just after conformation that my set up is incompatable. I'm not going to lose my farming sensor as that's the only thing so far that is working. Hence why I'm feeling ripped off right now, dropping that kind of money for something that renders my ibike useless hits a raw nerve.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Ripped off by??? someone, somewhere has a couple of old style sensors they should be glad to sell. Hey, it's worth a shot.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The good news is, you have an iBike Gen I that was in our very first production lot. So, you own a bit of history...

The bad news is, you bought a used unit that was manufactured over 6 years ago; we stopped selling the Gen I over 4 years ago and stopped supporting it over 3 years ago. We have no idea what shape this unit is in.

To use your Gen I with a combined speed/cadence sensor, you need special firmware. We used to charge $99 for this firmware, but we will email it to you for free, along with instructions for how to use it. Contact Tom Gore at technical support@velocomp.com if you need more information about how to install and use this firmware with your speed/cadence sensor.

Hopefully you will find this to be reasonable support.
John Hamann