Newton and Cadence/Speed sensor on a Tandem

millerka

Newton and Cadence/Speed sensor on a Tandem

Post by millerka »

Hello,
I am considering upgrading from a Areo III to a Newton. I use a Garmin cadence/spd sensor on my single but I would like to try the Newton
on our tandem. I see you now sell a combined sensor. The stoker has a speed/cadence in her position so there is no room there and I think the run from the rear wheel is most likely to long. I see the separate speed sensor but not the separate cadence sensor. Do you no longer offer that sensor and what might be my options??
Regards
Karl
TriBike

Re: Newton and Cadence/Speed sensor on a Tandem

Post by TriBike »

I believe that Trek still offers that separate cadence sensor. We stopped carrying the separate cadence sensor a while back, and transitioned into the combined sensor. I think for bicycles such as Tandems, Trikes, and Recumbents, it may be necessary at times to have the separate sensors for proper functionality. The Newton will be a great product, and I would love to see it utilized on a multitude of different bike setups, such as the Tandem. Perhaps I can convince some of the Powers that Be here at iBike to order a batch of the separate speed and cadence sensors for these applications. Stay Tuned ....
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

The Garmin gsc-10 combined speed/cadence sensor can be modified to separate and extend the two component sensors.
A nice discussion with photos is at http://turtleaws3.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... ensor.html
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

it should be a whole lot easier to extend the ibike combined sensor! Cut the wire between the 2 sensors and splice in another section of wire, the length that you want it! The picture I saw the speed and cadence is connected by a wire!

Just a thought!
millerka

Post by millerka »

This is a disappointing! Can you supply more information about the Trek sensors. I can only find the Speed sensor not the Cadence sensor.
I also see that iBike is only selling the battery mount, they no longer stock the basic Ant mount. I did't have an issue replacing the 2032 and that battery mount is allot of money. I really don't want to run a bunch of wire around to get a combo sensor to work.

regards

Karl
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Surely there are quite a few people with the old separate speed and cadence sensors that have a couple lying around. It's actually the same sensor with a switch inside to go from SPD to CAD.
Fernando
millerka

Post by millerka »

Anybody have any old separate Ant+ sensors they want to unload????
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

I have 2 sensors. (speed & Cad). barely used. e-mail me privately.