GEN 1 are they accurate

geoffsuperturbo

GEN 1 are they accurate

Post by geoffsuperturbo »

i purchased a used GEN3 wireless pro a few weeks back, and with some help from the forum, i have just about got that profile set up right for my race bike. Now i had a chance to pick up a GEN 1 wireless pro at what i consider to be a fair price for a new unit, to use on my training bike, and maybe take abroad on holiday too.

having done the set up, i found that there is no calibration ride, and no user/ racer set up steps, so now i'm wondering what kind of accuracy am i going to get from using a GEN 1 unit? there are coast downs, but i found with the GEN 3 they are not always consistent and a bad one can throw everything right off, and what good are coast downs with no cal ride as a basis to work from?
Anyone still using GEN 1 and how good are they compared to GEN 3.?

p.s would an update of the firmware to give me any more options regarding calibration or any other features? i did try to update the firmware from 1.15 to 1.18 but i got an error message, i'm not sure what i would actually gain from the update anyway
racerfern

Re: GEN 1 are they accurate

Post by racerfern »

If you were on rough roads the Gen 1 had issues with vibration that were solved with the Gen 2. The Gen2, like the Gen1 did an awesome job of calculating power but then a quantum leap was made with the Gen3. The Gen3 self corrected for tilt so it solved the issues of tilt correction. So...

On smooth roads a G1 and G2 should give you the same results. On rougher roads or high speed downhill sections the G2 will outshine the G1. A G3 unit which is setup properly will give you the same basic results on the unit during the ride as afterwards after analyzing, especially if you pay attention to temperature changes.

You should be able to do a coastdown and calride (they used to happen in reverse order) and use the setup wizard from the latest version of the iBike software. Remember, the basic calculations that determine power based on the opposing forces, such as speed, tilt, wind, have not changed. Hey, there is an upgrade path, so now you have a way to get another G3 for le$$.
Fernando
geoffsuperturbo

thanks, helpful as always. one thing putting me off the upgrade is the big sting i got hit with for import tax when i got the Gen 3 unit. if i upgrade i will not only end up paying pretty much the same as for a new unit, but also run the risk of that tax again when it arrives here. the beauty of the Gen 1 was i got it fairly cheap in comparison and didnt have to pay anything to customs when it arrived.
however my first ride today had issues, maybe it was the vibration you mentioned, but the unit died after only 1/10 mile and stopped giving me speed or pulse or anything else, very annoying. After i got home i had to do the pairing all over again. i hope that is not going to happen everytime i use the Gen 1 or it will be more trouble than it is worth.

what i have actually done is use the profile i got with the Gen 3 Pro and put it into the Gen 1, i thought that might give me a more accurate profile, especially as i didn't see a cal ride in the set up. i hope the unit actually starts to work on rides so i can get an idea if the profile is OK. i have changed very slightly the position of the unit on the bike, i'm not sure if i should aim for a new profile because of this.
most of the roads are smooth but there are rough spots which cannot be avoided, some winter frost damage which has not been fixed and some rough chip and seal sections. time will tell how much they mess up my rides, may end up having to go the upgrade route, but i'm hoping to avoid that extra expense right now.
thanks for advice
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The Gen 1 does not have issues pairing up or staying paired with sensors. Your particular used unit, who knows? Even vibration will not affect this.

You should be able to use an existing profile from a Gen 3 and be pretty darn close.
Fernando
geoffsuperturbo

ok, i'm doing a long ride tomorrow with some hills, so will be interesting to see what comes out of that, if everything works and the battery lasts 4 hours :roll: i am confident of being quite close to a decent profile on the training bike, but the TT bike is a different story