How to check the wind offset

Aaron

How to check the wind offset

Post by Aaron »

I have an iSport.

What is the proper procedure for cal wind?
1. Go into setup
2. Go to Cal wind
3. Then what? Do I wait till it reads 0 or close to it and then press the center button? Or does it finish on its own?

Also,
How do I check the wind offset mid ride? What buttons do I click to get there?

Thanks,
Aaron
still-chasing

Re: How to check the wind offset

Post by still-chasing »

Same question here. I re-calibrated my Ipro for the new set up. I rode for about a mile with the unit off. Just to get the internal temp of the unit to stabilize. I then wake up the unit and do a Cal Wind. It took me a good 10-15 minutes just to get the unit read below 1. I even covered it with a plastic bag to eliminate any wind hitting the air port. In the garage with the plastic cover and it still read 1-2 mph. Finally saw a a number below 1. Saw .7 and hit center button right away. This is after almost 15 minutes of trying.

My question is: Do you guys press the center button to force it to just zero out? Thanks.
Seems like I've been doing a lot of re-calibrating lately to get it dialed in.....
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Go into setup, cup the wind port but don't touch it. Regardless of the number, press the center button and the number will move toward zero. After a couple of seconds it returns you to your regularly scheduled screen.

Note that the unit never stays exactly at zero very long because the sensor is very sensitive. It's OK to drift up or down a few tenths in a completely calm wind and even more it its windy (even though you have the unit cupped).

You can always go back and check but no need to go crazy over it.

Yes, you press the center button to force to zero, that's the purpose.

Anytime you stop mid ride, just go to setup and follow the same procedure.
Fernando
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for the directions. Really helpful. I'll give it a go.
racerfern wrote:You can always go back and check but no need to go crazy over it.
How do I go back and check? I've read in other post that people have gone back to check mid ride and found the offset to be 3 or so. Especially when there is a temp difference from the start of the ride.

Thanks,
Aaron
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You hit the nail on the head. With temp changes come wind offset changes. I make it a point to notice the temperature when I set off for a ride. If the temp rises or falls a few degrees I plan on doing another wind cal. So, at some convenient point like stopping for a break or stopping at a light I cup the unit, go to setup and do a wind cal to zero the wind. I always go to the wind cal screen and wait a few seconds for the unit to settle; it's very sensitive and just pressing the button makes it react. If I see a number like 1.5 or -1.5 I simply exit the screen. That's really not enough to fret over.

If I see a number like 3 or -3 after it settles, I press the center button with the unit cupped. Within 5 seconds or so, the new wind cal is done and you're brought back to the main screen. I do this on a regular basis since it's easy and eliminates the need for more after ride processing. My ride data compared to my post ride analysis is nearly always within 1%. I'm not bragging, I'm saying by paying attention to a couple of things you can have spot on data.

Note, that doing things like adjusting for temp changes happens to nearly all power meters. A lot of other PM companies tell you to pedal backwards to zero the unit and to do it more often during a ride when there are temp changes.
Fernando
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

racerfern wrote:You hit the nail on the head. With temp changes come wind offset changes. I make it a point to notice the temperature when I set off for a ride. If the temp rises or falls a few degrees I plan on doing another wind cal. So, at some convenient point like stopping for a break or stopping at a light I cup the unit, go to setup and do a wind cal to zero the wind. I always go to the wind cal screen and wait a few seconds for the unit to settle; it's very sensitive and just pressing the button makes it react. If I see a number like 1.5 or -1.5 I simply exit the screen. That's really not enough to fret over.

If I see a number like 3 or -3 after it settles, I press the center button with the unit cupped. Within 5 seconds or so, the new wind cal is done and you're brought back to the main screen. I do this on a regular basis since it's easy and eliminates the need for more after ride processing. My ride data compared to my post ride analysis is nearly always within 1%. I'm not bragging, I'm saying by paying attention to a couple of things you can have spot on data.
Thanks for the explanation. Very clear now. I'll give it a go today on my ride.

Aaron
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

Thanks Fernando.