ibike aero not displying slope in WKO+

gerrard

ibike aero not displying slope in WKO+

Post by gerrard »

I tried posting this on the Training Peaks WKO+ focum but got no answer. Can anyone here help me?

I've just started using WKO+ and only have 5 rides in it so far. Of all those, only 1 displays slope information, however using the ibike software I get slope information for all the rides.

Can anyone shed light on why it's not coming through to WKO+? Only things I can think of are:
[*]I use ibike software to download from the ibike, then I simply drag and drop the csv file into WKO+. Is there a better / proper way to do it?[/*]
[*]At the end of a ride I turn the iBike off by going into setup -> batt -> press centre button. Is this the right way to do it? Not causing any odd file behaviors?[/*]

2 csv files attached (one that displays slope in WKO+, one that doesn't) if anyone can spot the difference.

Cheers
Gerrard
Attachments
2011_03_28_1229 - no slope.csv
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 294 times
2011_03_20_1102 - with slope.csv
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 303 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: ibike aero not displying slope in WKO+

Post by Velocomp »

To the best of my knowledge, WKO+ does not "read" iBike slope data. Most certainly, our software does read slope information!

Both ride files have slope data.
John Hamann
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Ok, so here's the hack I found: The file where WKO DOES display slope was actually a merged / appended file of 3 separate rides.

So next I made a copy of one ride, deleted all the ride data out of it (apart from file headers), appended it to another ride, then voila - WKO displays slope. Bizzare but true.

Not sure I can be bothered doing that for every ride, but it's an option if anyone else wants to.

Gerrard
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I use WKO 3.0 and I get all the metrics imported, including slope. Appending files or not, I always get slope.

This screenshot has is smoothed to one minute otherwise it's so jagged that it's hard to see the bigger picture.
Attachments
WKO_SLOPE.jpg
WKO_SLOPE.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 10432 times
Fernando
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Odd - wonder what's different about my files.

What's your process for getting off ibike and into WKO? Here's what I do:
1) download all rides from ibike
2) view in ibike software to check ok
3) erase from ibike
4) drag and drop into WKO

Cheers
Gerrard
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

That's the procedure, not much to it.
All the iBike metrics are included. Maybe you've set a default where certain data is not displayed. Check your settings.
Attachments
metrics_imported.jpg
metrics_imported.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Fernando
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

The slope option is greyed out on all rides except those ones with the merged files. Bizzare huh?
Mark_H

Post by Mark_H »

I also get slope in WKO+. I simply drag and drop the ibike file onto WKO+ and it does the rest...
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I opened your no slope file in iBike5 and simply saved it with a new file name. Then when I imported it into WKO the slope was there.

Are you opening the files in something else prior to placing them in WKO? Try it yourself, open the no slope file, save it as a new file name and drop that into WKO.
Fernando
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Nice spotting - thanks. I had usually been looking at the file in the ibike software but not making any changes so never hit the "save" button in there. By simply saving it (same name or different name) before importing into WKO, that somehow helps WKO recognise the slope data.

Comparing the files, the only difference is in the final field of the header. It changed from:
w7CpMbOluArShQDrpvx5G3RefNUoDTUedZzZMtzs|N0oC5iceTZpMOpoF7UefZzZM7zs|Q0oClicHYDpVTgoD7UefbrNfQqquh28QE65G7QefN1rN0CpMzqNfQqwB3lhMvx5G7JDZllZM9CpMHqNfQjZhQDrYQ45G7Jisybpq7CpMHqNfQqihNNrCLJNHO4IdNagr9CpN9NrHO4huEJrpLsgG7QbhforT8h2k8CHG2SFhdVr2ax6GqJeMNaqXJ84RKoNf7jqgQ7uh023H7QefN1rw7CdMBsNMtq5hQ53ovxga7QeqhvD|Ny2UZtNfQXShQDzpRu5289efN9dX6v0MIpNTXjqhDKro1t4sJNvbVlrwQYpNHqNfQqqhQ7FHX3vg9QefN1rw7YeMHqNsx0274E1Zvx5G7JDXaqJW7CpMHqNfQqqhQjzwvtDY7QefNVle8Cp98xOp2Sh4z08pbx5VD7e4cplw7ppX_qNdQ7elxDtaUWTKX77dN1O4UwuKGDA8LChD26Gp5y5J0QefXomryhznG9W9PionwvnPI9rw8Eo2YN6GyhlzGlF0Q0sXqGrpvJ48KemYMXa8TOj5EvEBFuqhQjwX5bje7E3P7YgF7CpM2DYQ4um7Ci6YAjsG7QegTCoD7CpMHqN

to:
w7CpMbOliuf|/b]hQDrpvx5G3RefNUoDTUedZzZMtzs|N0oC5iceTZpMOpoF7UefZzZM7zs|Q0oClicHYDpVTgoD7UefbrNfQqquhI8_Q25G7QefN1rN0CpMzqNfQqwB3lhMvx5G7JDZv9NM0CpMHqNfQ7mhQDrYQ45G7Jisybpq7CpMHqNfQqihNNrCLJNHO4IdNagr9CpN9NrHO4huEJrpLsgG7QbhforT8h2k8CHG2SFhdVr2ax6GqJeMNaqXJ84RKoNf7jqgQ7uh023H7QefN1rw7CdMBsNMtq5hQ53ovxga7QeqhvD|Ny2UZtNfQXShQDzpRu5289efN9dX6v0MIpNTXjqhDKro1t4sJNvbVlrwQYpNHqNfQqqhQ7FHX36g0QefN1rw7pzMHqNsx0274E1Zvx5G7JDXaqJW7CpMHqNfQqqhQjzwvtDY7QefNVle8Cp98xOp2Sh4z08pbx5VD7e4cplw7ppX_qNdQ7elxDtaUWTKX77dN1O4UwuKGDA8LChD26Gp5y5j0QefXomryhznG9W9PionwvnPI9rw8Eo2YN6GyhlzGlF0Q0sXqGrpvJ48KemYMXa8TOj5EvEBFuqhQjwX5bje7E3P7YgF7CpM2DYQ4um7Ci6YAjsG7QegTCoD7CpMHqN

The only difference I can spot quickly by eye is the bolded bit. Anyone know what this field is / does? :shock:

I use kg / km settings and display on the ibike. Can't imagine why or how this would make a difference but it's probably different to most of you North American users.

I appreciate the help so far racerfern. It's not much of an additional step for me to resave the file, but why do one more thing than I need to when I could be out riding instead ;)

Cheers
Gerrard
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

That's a question for Travis to answer and probably shows that WKO built support around the file structure sent to them, which was probably run through iBike software first.

That said, you are better off running it through iBike software to make sure nothing crazy happened such as a corrupted file. The iBike software does an outstanding job of catching speed spikes spikes, data hiccups, etc. that can happen here and there. It's not often, but like any other power meter there can be the occasional glitch.
Fernando
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Good call. Thanks for all the help
jesawdy

Post by jesawdy »

racerfern wrote:That said, you are better off running it through iBike software to make sure nothing crazy happened such as a corrupted file. The iBike software does an outstanding job of catching speed spikes spikes, data hiccups, etc. that can happen here and there. It's not often, but like any other power meter there can be the occasional glitch.
I do not use Training Peaks, so I may be all washed up but wouldn't you always want to run the ride file through the iBike application 'Anaylze Route' feature in order to correct elevation, tilt plot, drafting detection, etc.? I thought this lead to better or more accurate power data. Speed spike analysis is also sometimes useful as you mentioned.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Absolutely, you're always better off running it through the software first. You have to use the software to download it anyways so just save what you downloaded and your done. This would be the minimum.
Fernando
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Good tip - thanks guys. Wasn't aware of that.

Do you always just accept the adjustments, or are there reasons not to? (I don't understand the details of what's be changed and why... yet).

Also, there is the analyse wind feature. Do you do that too, or look for something particular in it? I'm digesting this post http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=255 at the moment but haven't quite got it yet.

Gerrard
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

If you had any kind of issues on your ride then the iBike analysis can salvage a ride with questionable data. For example you loaded up a profile and never did a tilt cal or you forgot to do a wind offset. Cadence drops, whatever... most stuff can be fixed by the software.

If you're comfortable your ride data is pretty much as it should be (which is what I strive for) then I simply enter my starting and ending elevation and I keep the other boxes unchecked. I also don't do an auto analyze when downloading my data, but that's only because I want to see it in its original form. Note that if the temps increase or decrease a fair amount over the length of a ride I do wind offsets along the ride to ensure zero really is zero. Regardless the type of power meter most of them have to be zeroed as temps change.
Fernando
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Thanks again for all your help Fernando. I'm still getting my head around the whole wind thing so have posted a question about it on this thread: http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Cheers
Gerrard