Perceived effort turbo trainer vs outdoors

dusand

Perceived effort turbo trainer vs outdoors

Post by dusand »

Bit new to this I just wanted to get some comments from more experienced riders on this issue. I have two bikes and also train indoors on a turbo trainer. One bike is heavier alu framed winter bike and other carbon framed lighter fair weather bike which I just started using again. All are well calibrated for iBike but I noticed that in terms of perceived effort for the same wattage they go from turbo trainer which seems hardest, to winter bike medium, to fair weather bike on which I seem to produce more watts and increase my speed as well. I just checked with Aaron and my profiles are all looking fine. What is your experience?
NCH1

Re: Perceived effort turbo trainer vs outdoors

Post by NCH1 »

This discussion has taken place many a time on the wattage list, and I think Alex Simmons has put the issue most succinctly on his blog. You can read it here:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... ining.html

Nik
dusand

Post by dusand »

Excellent article. Thanks for the link!
dusand

Post by dusand »

Just another thought Nik, given the need for a bigger flywheel to match indoor/outdoor FTP outputs can anybody recommend such turbo trainer that is on the iBike supported list? Did anybody hear about and tried the British designed Wattbike indoor trainer?
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

G'day,

Wattbikes are pretty expensive. They are about $6000 in Australia, and about 2-3000 British pounds, I believe. For the money, I think a Kurt Kinetic would provide both the best road feel and value- AU$600. The Kurt also allows you to do sprint intervals, whereas if you read the fine print of many other turbos, they strongly state that you should not do so.

Nik
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I have the Kurt Kinetic Pro Road Trainer that has the removable 12lb flywheel. I remove the flywheel for any kind of interval work and keep it on for a better road feel. I've never had a problem as the unit is about as solid as can be.

I see on the KK website where this particular unit has been discontinued so you should try and find one on eBay. There is a retailer on eBay that is an authorized KK dealer, I believe somewhere in the midwest USA.

The option now is to buy a trainer and a separate attachment for the flywheel which just makes things more expensive.

The power curve is not affected by the additional flywheel.
Fernando
dusand

Post by dusand »

Thanks guys, I'll look into the option you mention. By the way Wattbike is £1865 here in the UK.