Need advice with profiles and CDs

Alex Torres

Need advice with profiles and CDs

Post by Alex Torres »

I´ve just re-installed my iBike. I´ve got a 4-mile & multi CDs (10 total) already saved as a profile. In the meantime, I´ve changed my bars (previously 44cm, now 42). Can I upload this existing profile on to the iBike again, or should I perform all the multi CDs & 4-mile ride over again?

I´ve been through all the calibration steps a few times already, but still I can´t tell if the CDs and rides are good enough just looking at the numbers on the iBike2. I´m looking for the highest level of precision and consistency from my iBike, so I would appreciate if someone could explain me how this multiple profile thing works. Should I have a profile for climbing, TTing, etc.? Or just one to feed and calibrate the iBike is just fine?

Also, I´ve got 2 wheelsets (Mavic Ksyriums Elite for training and ES´for racing, dressed up with different tires, and I´m purchasing some deep rim tubies for racing as well). Should I have different profiles or coast-downs for each set? If so, how am I supposed to do these, and afterwards, to "use" them in my post-ride analysis?

Sorry if these sound like stupid or overly complicated questions, but I felt this is the best place to get some tips since it seems a lot of you guys are iBike experts and long time users. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Robert

Re: Need advice with profiles and CDs

Post by Robert »

I think the quick answer is that any time you change something on your bike you should do the coast downs and 4 mile ride to create a new profile if you want the most accurate information.

In regards to climbing, your normal profile should be fine. TT's can be different if you do the TT in a different position than you did your original coastdowns, or add TT bars to your bike, so a TT profile should probably be made.

Wheels and tires can also affect your numbers. You could create a training profile and a racing profile.

As far as I understand, the profiles can be used before or after a ride. If you are using your race wheels, then you can load your race profile to the iBike before the ride. If you forget and do the ride with the training profile, you could then analyze post ride with your racing profile to get the most accurate data.

Hope this at least starts to answer your questions.....
Alex Torres

Post by Alex Torres »

Thanks a lot Robert, it sure helped me better understand about the topic. I´ll be doing a racing profile and a training profile as you said, makes total sense. I´m not using a specific TT bike, I just do my TT training on my bike w/o clips or anything special, since I don´t compete in TT events, only road.

I´ve got one more question, if you don´t mind. Can I just upload these two different profiles in my iBike according to my need (i.e. whenever going for a race OR training ride?) or should I "erease" or something before uploading a profile? I don´t know how these profiles and CDs get stored in iBike and how (if) would the readings be affected by this. Is the wireless code affected by different profiles?

Thanks once again.

Alex
Robert

Post by Robert »

Yes, you can just upload the profile to the iBike according to whatever type of ride you will be doing that day. The iBike only stores one profile at a time, and should automatically clear out the other profile. In the iBike software you just click on Profiles, then send profile to iBike and there is a drop down menu you can choose the proper profile from.

My understanding is the wireless codes are saved in the profile, so they should not be a problem. The only issue is if you have more than one bike and more than one wireless setup. Then you would have to switch profiles before the ride or the iBike would not see the sensors associated with that bike.

Another thing that comes to mind, but I haven't actually checked is to make sure you use the proper profile when doing the post ride analysis. I assume the software automatically uses the associated profile, but have not swapped profiles in my iBike to check. So, if you do a training ride and then download the ride to analyse, check to see that it shows the training profile in the box above the analyze button. It might be possible that if the last file you analized was a race file, then the race profile might still be showing in that box.

Robert