Battery Drain

theredmiata

Battery Drain

Post by theredmiata »

All,

I've still experiencing battery drain with the new wireless setup. 3x times now with the temperatures averaging around mid 50's, the battery on my ibike get's to about 268 after several hours and the display just disappears. I've checked the battery before and after the ride and they register 2.91v+ (both for the mount and the ibike). On the third ride, I installed brand new batteries registering slightly above 3.01 on both batteries, temps in high 50s low 60s and within 3 hours the battery draws down to 273 and my ride numbers become erroneous (temp was registering 75 degrees! at one point as well my power being 375watts on a completely flat, smooth isolated road and I was only going 20mph). Is there anything else I can try here? I kinda thought moving to this new wireless system was the fact that there would be second battery providing some extra power so that at least for one ride, with new batteries, it would last. Oh, I live in San Diego, CA.

Thanks,

Ian
racerfern

Re: Battery Drain

Post by racerfern »

I'm just up the road a spell in Newport Beach so our weather is similar. Daytime rides starting in the low 50's and going to mid 60's and the battery lasts for weeks.
Even the batteries I use in extremely cold (mid 40's) for here recover nicely after a good night's rest. I went to wireless and the battery life is vastly improved.

I'm inclined to think that there is something wrong with your iBike unit. Something inside could be causing an excessive draw. BTW I use the batteries sold at ibikesports.com. Whatever you do, do not buy Radio Shack batteries. They are the worst.
Fernando
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Let's talk. My numbers are below.
gregh3285

Post by gregh3285 »

I live in Wisconsin. Only in the last couple days has it (finally) warmed up. I have 300 miles on my iBike (wireless). I'm still on my first set of batteries. The unit says 277 today (so I'm close to using the first set up). Of the 300 miles so far probably 2/3 are on a trainer. Still, when the batteries warm up following a cold-weather ride, they do seem to recover. There are places where you can buy batteries for signficantly less than major stores (which would make this discussion somewhat less of an issue). I'm going to try ordering 50 from Digikey (at 25 cents each). With shipping and handling, it might come to 45 cents each. I'll let the forum know what I find out (when I have results).
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Site_Admin »

Guys, we sell 'em at COST, in packs of 20, if you're interested...
victorpaterno

Post by victorpaterno »

I'm having extreme battery drain, as in I stick a fresh battery in, put the ibike on >settings>battery, and watch the voltage drop from 290 down to 253 in under two minutes.

The ibike works for 20 minutes after that, though watts often seem wrong. Then the LCD becomes so faint its unreadable.

I think it may be moisture or water in the unit causing a short and draining the battery. I think this started happening after a drizzle during a ride (though the unit is supposedly waterproof!) Opened the battery cover for two nights now hoping it'll dry out, but still the same result.

Help!

victor
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I suggest you contact Velocomp directly through email at the website. There is probably something wrong internally.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please contact us and we'll replace your unit.
John Hamann
victorpaterno

Post by victorpaterno »

I emailed John directly, and rode with my new unit today! Thanks John, great product backed by great customer service!

Victor