power pod calibration question

Dugmaster79

power pod calibration question

Post by Dugmaster79 »

Hi i am an absolute newbie to power and power pod.I have not touched the iaasc software. I have tried to calibrate my power pod but values are wrong as i had a lactate test done and values on my garmin 500 were way off what the test showed.
On my Garmin, speed/cadence sensor 52132 connected,power meter connected 26679.
So when i start up i spin wheel/crank to awaken sensors,press pp goes green then goes out.I turn on Garmin says do u want to calibrate pp yes/no,i press yes ,it says cal successful _ _ 0_ _ shows on screen.(i tried riding with this nothing happens)
PP does not flash does not do anything,when i go out riding the power shows up on normal screen but figures are wrong.
what am i doing wrong i'm at a loss any help much appreciated.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: power pod calibration question

Post by Velocomp »

PowerPod does not require external calibration, so you don't have to play with buttons on your Garmin (but it's OK if you do...)

Try riding for about 15 minutes or more. It sounds like your PP needs to self-calibrate, and this takes about 8 minutes.

If you're trying to diagnose other problems it would really be best to install Isaac, then download and post your .ibr ride files. With the ride file the rest will be easy.
John Hamann
triJay

Post by triJay »

Quick question, if you dial in your calibration on an ibike Newton running FW5.x with the better/best methods, but something gets bumped or gets out of whack later down the road, does the Newton self-heal the data as the Powerpod does?

Just curious. Data has been pretty consistent lately for me after upgrading, but wondering if something goes wrong in a race if I just leave it be and it will sort itself out in ~10 minutes.

As an example, I was running FW4+ a few weeks ago and had my aerobars slowly tilt downwards over the course of a few rides (using TT mount), which threw my power numbers low until I realized what had happened (made those rides pretty intense, though, I was climbing hard trying to hit my target power #s with a 1-2 degree tilt deficit!).

Curious if FW5.0 helps identify and adjust for weird stuff like this on the fly (I've since tightened them up and they seem stable, and I now check tilt every so often before rides), or if that's only the Powerpod.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, Newton works the same as PP. If you bump it out of position it will self-calibrate over the next 8 minutes.
John Hamann