indoor velodrome use help please

bikemanbrent

indoor velodrome use help please

Post by bikemanbrent »

I don't think I'll ever get to do a CAl ride on the velodrome I usually race on unless I break in after hours so I need to imagine a profile for the Newton. Can Anyone advise me on making up a profile ie what CRR to use to get reasonable power numbers?
I usually use tubs @ 200~220psi and regular spoked wheels for the most part. I save my discs for time events (no crashes to destroy them)
I know I can use my CDa from one of my my road bikes because it is positioned exactly as my track bike. The track is a 250m Siberiean pine beauty just opened in 2015 built for the Pan-am games in Toronto Ontario, Canada.

Also does anyone have any experience riding with the Newton mounted upside down under the stem ? During racing no electronic devices are allowed so it can "see" the wind still mounted under the bars
and not draw the ire of the officials.

Would it be worth while to do a cal ride and coast downs on very new (days old) asphalt and tweak the profile afterward?

thoughts advice and any help is really appreciated.
Jim Behrens

Re: indoor velodrome use help please

Post by Jim Behrens »

I used mine on the Cleveland Velodrome. No where near as nice as your track but a lot of fun.
Anyway, I can relate what I experienced.
I want to stress that I was using a Gen 3 iBike so things might/should be better with a Newton.
The g forces in the turns seemed to present problems. Not entirely sure how or why but the numbers never seemed to be very consistent. Part of what I saw was that the altimeter showed me as climbing and descending where I was pretty much riding the lower lines.
I "think" you could probably do a cal ride by riding the required distance, slowing down the proper amount, and then ride the second half of the cal ride. My reasoning is that out on the road you reverse direction, at least in part, to equalize the wind. On a velodrome, and especially indoors, you actually do that every half lap.
Regarding mounting the unit under the stem, I imagine you could do it but how will you operate the buttons? In fact, how will you be sure that the unit is operating properly at all?
I don't think, from my experience, that doing a cal ride and/or coast downs on a normal road will be very worthwhile at all. In fact, I don't think the coast downs will help much at all.
Come down here to race where the officials just look the other way!
Just my $.02.
bikemanbrent

Post by bikemanbrent »

Jim Behrens wrote:I used mine on the Cleveland Velodrome. No where near as nice as your track but a lot of fun.
Anyway, I can relate what I experienced.
I want to stress that I was using a Gen 3 iBike so things might/should be better with a Newton.
The g forces in the turns seemed to present problems. Not entirely sure how or why but the numbers never seemed to be very consistent. Part of what I saw was that the altimeter showed me as climbing and descending where I was pretty much riding the lower lines.
I "think" you could probably do a cal ride by riding the required distance, slowing down the proper amount, and then ride the second half of the cal ride. My reasoning is that out on the road you reverse direction, at least in part, to equalize the wind. On a velodrome, and especially indoors, you actually do that every half lap.
Regarding mounting the unit under the stem, I imagine you could do it but how will you operate the buttons? In fact, how will you be sure that the unit is operating properly at all?
I don't think, from my experience, that doing a cal ride and/or coast downs on a normal road will be very worthwhile at all. In fact, I don't think the coast downs will help much at all.
Come down here to race where the officials just look the other way!
Just my $.02.
Thanks Jim,I am wondering if the mistaken numbers seen for climbing and descending in the bankings is a "know issue" with all ibikes or is it an older gen thing that has since been resolved. I suppose I should direct that to J. Hamman.
As for under the stem mounting I have no plan to look at or operate the buttons while racing. I'll check to see it is operating before I throw a leg over the bike. I just want the race data to review later. I do get some more casual racing where the officials do indeed look the other way. But Ontario officials are sticklers on the track for bigger sanctioned events. the track itself is a dream to ride on..well worth the trip! There is another small velodrome two hours away from the New track that often has events on alternate days so more racing can be done in a trip to make it more worth while.

We have quite a few US rider who travel to the Milton Velodrome to race the Ontario-cup series and the calibre of racing is very high-they allow self seeding and do ability based events. I invite you to come join us this winter, the first event is Dec 4th.
Jim Behrens

Post by Jim Behrens »

It occurred to me, after the fact, that maybe the Power Pod might be a better idea.
That way the display is not in a location that would upset the officials but you would be able to test with a CPU and yet put it away (under the saddle or in a jersey pocket) for races that matter.
I have to think the Newton is better than what I used. Now I use a wired PT wheel for training and I have PT pedals for everything else. Nothing wrong with an iBike but these don't have any set up issues.
I assume the other track you refer to is the one in London, Ont? I have never ridden it myself but some of our locals have. Actually if Lake Erie wasn't in the way, I could drive there in about 2 hours.
Hopefully our track will be under roof soon and I will never use an indoor trainer again.
bikemanbrent

Post by bikemanbrent »

Jim Behrens wrote:It occurred to me, after the fact, that maybe the Power Pod might be a better idea.
That way the display is not in a location that would upset the officials but you would be able to test with a CPU and yet put it away (under the saddle or in a jersey pocket) for races that matter.
I have to think the Newton is better than what I used. Now I use a wired PT wheel for training and I have PT pedals for everything else. Nothing wrong with an iBike but these don't have any set up issues.
I assume the other track you refer to is the one in London, Ont? I have never ridden it myself but some of our locals have. Actually if Lake Erie wasn't in the way, I could drive there in about 2 hours.
Hopefully our track will be under roof soon and I will never use an indoor trainer again.
Yeah a power pod would be a good idea, but a rider is still faced with getting a profile for the track.Like you I also have a wired power tap set-up but I'd like to just use one device to gather data for simplicity's sake.
I suppose I could ride with both at the next race and compare the files and figure out a way to make the newton match the power-tap. Easier with a ANT DFPM rather than the old wired variety we both have.
Do you know Dave Hicken? He comes to race on the Milton track and London as well. I have a 5 hour drove to the Milton tack and it is worth the drive in my opinion. Looking at a map it looks like you might have a bit longer travel time
but still worth it.
thanks for you input, hope to see you on the boards this winter!