Wind cal question

Aaron

Wind cal question

Post by Aaron »

I have an iBike Newton. I think it is the original Newton. It isn't the 5 or 6. I am running firmware version 4.16

My procedure for riding with the Newton for each ride is to let the Newton aclimatize to the outdoor temp. Then, I do a wind cal (out of the wind) and then I ride. Sometimes during the ride I'll go into the wind cal screen (making sure to be out of the wind) and it is reading 3.0 or 5.0 or -3.0 or -5.0. Basically not zero like when I started the ride. This most often happens when the temp has changed from when I started the ride. 

My question: In this situation, where I have followed the ride start procedures above, and I am part way into the ride and the wind cal screen shows 5.0, are the watt numbers I am seeing while I am riding a little higher than they should be since the wind cal is reading 5.0 when it should be reading 0. Or does the iBike somehow adjust for this win cal change from the start of the ride and show watt numbers on the ibike screen that are adjusted? 

Thanks,
Aaron
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wind cal question

Post by Velocomp »

If you're doing a Wind Cal prior to the ride then you're OK.

Post a ride file and we will take a look...
John Hamann
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for looking at this. I have attached my ride file from today.

Some info on today's ride.
Temp at start = 58F
Temp at Finish = 65F
Windcal at start = 0
Windcal at finish = -5

Questions
1. My biggest concern is to have accurate watt numbers during the ride. With the temp and wind cal procedure above, will my watt numbers be accurate on the bike?

2. I use the Fit Train for my intervals. I often see low heart rate numbers during intervals in the Fit train window. Is this a known bug?

3. How's my wind scaling. I'm feeling (could be all in my head) that my down hill perceived effort is a lot more that my uphill with the same watt reading.

Thanks again for looking at this.

Aaron
Attachments
iBike_04_18_2016_0959_38_Miles.ibr
(481.48 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nice interval work! You are doing a great job holding constant power over the varying terrain between mile 6 to 10...

Your Newton is working just fine. If your wind sensor had temperature issues you would see a drift in the relative bike/wind speed readings. This is not the case.

We are not aware of any HR bug in the Fit Train window.

Your wind scaling is fine. If you look at your bike/wind speed readings when your not climbing (where wind speed will be low and irrelevant for power), bike and wind speed are nearly the same. This indicates solid calibration.

All is well!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 4.22.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 4.22.43 PM.png (38.73 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 4.23.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 4.23.23 PM.png (235 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
John Hamann
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for looking at the file. Very helpful to better understand how everything is working.

Thanks on the intervals. First one went well. 2nd and 3rd felt like I said was mashing gears. Must have been tired.

Aaron