No power/cadence read on Unit BUT shows up on download

PunkPA

No power/cadence read on Unit BUT shows up on download

Post by PunkPA »

Hello, seem to have a problem when riding out doors (never happens in trainer mode) no power shows on unit....or on Garmin 910 that its paired with for at least 15-20 min. The Garmin shows good cadence and all other metrics and the Newton shows speed and grade etc. Then about 1/2 hour or so suddenly there is power readings?! this has happened before and I just ignored the numbers once they showed up as I didn't think I could trust them. Also in another race had the opposite -crazy high watts for the first 5-20 min then things settled down and where on par with expected numbers.
What's really got me puzzled is that when downloading this last ride to Isaac All the proper power from the start is there (but not so on the Garmin upload -shows 0 watts for the "blank time").
Kinda frustrated right now....as I train to power so I can race to power...... Am I missing something in the set-up?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: No power/cadence read on Unit BUT shows up on download

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file illustrating this problem.
John Hamann
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

I can attach the next couple attempts....however each shows power data that DID NOT appear on Newton unit or transmit to Garmin watch.
I'll skip the other 2 short "rides" and then send the last long ride that had the first 15-20 min NOT SHOW up on unit...and NONE show up on Garmin. Of note I've used on trainer since then and there is no display or transmitting to Garmin issues.
Attachments
iBike_04_01_2014_1722_0_Miles.ibr
first attempt
(9.67 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

actual ride was 1:30 hours.....so seems missing a portion as well. I'll use the Tracker on subsequent rids to record as well just to have better comparison. Also maybe a Strava or Map my ride.....
As I said it seemed to display fine after 1/2 of the ride and 3 trip re-sets. -spontaneously.
Attachments
iBike_04_01_2014_1827_9_Miles.ibr
(188.01 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

Here I the Garmin record for reference -same ride:
Attachments
Screenshot (17)crop.jpg
Screenshot (17)crop.jpg (144.93 KiB) Viewed 7553 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I've looked at your ride files and note the following:

1) your short file shows no apparent issues.
2) Based on your weight and CdA, it looks like this is a TT setup. Please confirm
3) Your Crr is way high at 0.0132; it should be around 0.0054. A corrected profile is attached
4) You have a DFPM in your profile; are you using one? There is no DFPM data in the ride file. By any chance, are you riding in a group with a rider who is using a DFPM? If so you might be reading HIS power, not yours. Connect your Newton to your computer, use the Edit/Edit Profile... feature, click on the Wireless ID tab, then click on the Forget DFPM button, then click the Accept button

Long ride
1) first 5 minutes watts are ok but a bit spiky, due to incorrect tilt calibration. Newton figured it out and all was OK later on
2) Wind and tilt sensors are properly calibrated
3) power readings look 100% normal
4) Garmin readings show absolutely no relationship to your Newton readings.

I'm wondering if your Garmin is paired to your Newton...or to someone else's sensors.
Attachments
profile.ibp
(353 Bytes) Downloaded 249 times
John Hamann
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

Wow Thanx so much for quick reply!
Ill look at those settings.
Yes TT setup (I ride 80% in aero on average race) on a QR CD0.1 bike with deep rim race wheels. I did my last calibration ride 50% on hoods50% in aero
Yes there where others riding along for a change.....no others with PWR of any kind. I don't have a DFPM

The bike is back on the trainer for a while.....Likely will use Newton on my road bike and I'll do a fresh Profile 2 calibration ride for it and see how things go.
When in trainer mode ---just did a 36 mile trainer ride and no issues with Newton OR Garmin.
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

made the fixes as mentioned
I did change tire to 700x23c as well
and erased extra profiles

I did note the info /ID etc was there for cadence but no green light....is this why no cadence showing on unit now? (but picked up by garmin fine?)
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

Ummmm I see I have been in "computer display" and that must be the no cadence display....just doesn't explain why POWER still no showed for so long of the ride.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I would do a Scan in your garage, far away from any other ANT+ sensors.

See if that clears up things.
John Hamann
PunkPA

Post by PunkPA »

Thanks so much.

Now if I only had this kind of help with my RM1 and trying to create courses for Computrainer LOL.

Ill do a fresh profile for road bike, cal ride and then start a new solo ride outside.
If that goes well then try trainer ride (with TT Bike) and then back on road bike outside to see if the back and forth causes issues.

Thanx