Wind display

KenS

Wind display

Post by KenS »

I've noticed while out riding on a windy day that when my speed drops below 8 km/h (i.e. 5 mph) the Wind reading on the environment screen promptly drops to 0.0
But in the ride file the wind still seems to be recorded properly.
Just curious as I was thinking it would be nice to be able to work out just how hard the wind was blowing by standing still and pointing the bike into it
-- Ken
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wind display

Post by Velocomp »

Measuring light wind speeds at rest is a very difficult thing to do. It's like watching a candle flame dart about and guessing how hard the puff of wind is.

We have intentionally disabled wind speed readings when bike speed is less than 5 mph.
John Hamann
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

Side note:
Trying to find the topic about "Analyze wind". if someone can re-direct please so I can better understand this feature. Thanks.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Yesterday was hot, nearby airport weather station recorded 92F peak on hourly readings at about the time I had my problem arise. My Bontrager bike computer next to the iBike recorded as high as 96F in the sun.

The iBike Newton+ went suddenly, while riding, from normal wind to goofy, I will describe.
Unfortunately I did not notice until restarting riding after a break. The wind seemed high, then I noticed it was stuck. The wind cal screen would not respond and was continually showing about 65. I did a hard reset and everything except date and time returned to normal, after a quick wind cal.

In Issac, I now had two ride files due to the reset. I was able to select the bad section and correct the average wind to zero (which was probably a bit low but close enough) and then append the files together for a fairly good total total ride file.

I have no clue why unless temperature affected this. I do use the RWS which would allow the wind port sensor to rise to a higher than ambient temperature.

Anyhow I am wondering if the iBike FW could monitor for this condition and correct it on the fly? I am thinking to simply test that the wind has gone quite high and do a reset or whatever to that chip or whatever the hard reset does but only to that chip and then restore the wind cal value into it or the like for automatic recovery? --- Just wondering.

Russ
iBike_08_04_2012_1617_18_km_N Loop_eF1 ib8_raw.ibr
Ride file restored to original with bad wind.
(114.9 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It wasn't temperature; it was a low battery.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks for the diagnosis, John. And today was hotter and it did ok.

Now this disturbs me a bit as the unit was at about 65% when I got it home to upload my data and to recharge. Also after the hard reset, the unit did well for the rest of a 40 mile ride (43km part 2 vs 18km part one that had the failure). Shouldn't the unit have demonstrated more trouble later in the ride?

Thanks again,
Russ

Edit to add total 61km ride file patched together with gps merged to get good timestamps.
Attachments
iBike_08_04_2012_1617_61_km_N Loop_eFrancis ib8.ibr
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 316 times