New Newton firmware 602 coming

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

New Newton firmware 602 coming

Post by Velocomp »

We've listened to your requests and have been able to add many of them.

Unfortunately, we cannot change the file management system of the iBike; therefore, selective ride file erase is "off the table".

But we've added some features we hope you'll like.

Here is what's coming; look for it very soon from your Isaac software (Device/Check Online for Firmware Update)

1) Added “Battery Percentage” (Batt %) screen in Totals (left button). This screen shows how much battery life remains in your Newton. Also, while displaying this screen, if you click the center button, the unit will turn off immediately.

2) Added Power Filtering (“Set Filt”) feature to smooth power numbers displayed on Newton screen. Filtering applies to on-screen display only; ride files are unaffected. "Set Filt" is accessible through Setup (Press-hold up arrow). Once on the Set Filt screen, click the center button to select, then change number with Up arrow, then click center button to accept selection:
0: no extra smoothing
2: smoothing over 2 second period
5: smoothing over 5 second period
10: smoothing over 10 second period
30: smoothing over 30 second period

3) Total Odometer and Total Ride Time are now separate screens in Totals

4) Total Odometer can now be displayed up to 199999 miles. Tenths of miles are not displayed.

5) Fixed bugs related to odometer updating after ride completion

6) Improved wattage accuracy when drafting
John Hamann
minus10

Re: New Newton firmware 602 coming

Post by minus10 »

Features look great, especially the smoothing. I use a Garmin and the best it does is 30s smooth. The shorter periods look ideal. Very handy for getting in that mountain climbing groove.
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

Does this smoothing keep the wattage numbers from jumping around so much? Never used a garmin so just wanted to know what this smoothing feature will do. Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GWPOS wrote:Does this smoothing keep the wattage numbers from jumping around so much? Never used a garmin so just wanted to know what this smoothing feature will do. Thanks
Yes, you will be able to make the power numbers less jumpy. I'm using the 5 second setting and it's great.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Any thought to changing the rounding display algorithm for distance?
Currently I find the distance error/uncertainity of +/- 0.05 miles to be such that I can't use the iBike with a route sheet.
I would much prefer a display which truncated the distance to at least actual traveled rather than rounding up after 0.05 miles to include untraveled distance.
Example: after 25.4 miles I look for a turn at 25.5 which shows from 25.45 miles to 25.54 miles then display becomes 25.6 miles.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texmurphy wrote:Any thought to changing the rounding display algorithm for distance?
Currently I find the distance error/uncertainity of +/- 0.05 miles to be such that I can't use the iBike with a route sheet.
I would much prefer a display which truncated the distance to at least actual traveled rather than rounding up after 0.05 miles to include untraveled distance.
Example: after 25.4 miles I look for a turn at 25.5 which shows from 25.45 miles to 25.54 miles then display becomes 25.6 miles.
Well, we've had the same algorithm for 6+ years now, and this is the first time I've been asked this! It's always fun to read this forum :D

I'm not sure what you are requesting. Are you suggesting that the odometer shouldn't advance until the next full mile is registered? For example, at present, if at mile 25.40, the odometer will read 25.4 miles, and the odometer advances to 25.5 miles when measured distance is 24.51 miles. Are you proposing that the odometer not advance to 25.5 miles until the measured distance is 25.50 miles?
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Velocomp wrote:I'm not sure what you are requesting. Are you suggesting that the odometer shouldn't advance until the next full mile is registered? For example, at present, if at mile 25.40, the odometer will read 25.4 miles, and the odometer advances to 25.5 miles when measured distance is 24.51 miles. Are you proposing that the odometer not advance to 25.5 miles until the measured distance is 25.50 miles?
No, not the next full mile, rather the next full 0.1 (tenth) mile.
Currently at 25.44 miles, activity distance shows 25.4
...at 25.45 miles activity distance shows 25.5
...and will continue to show 25.5 until activity distance becomes 25.55 when it will roll over to 25.6
I consider this a full tenth of a mile of uncertainty, unless I watch for the distance changeover and I then know that I am not at the tenth of a mile but at the 5 hundreths of a mile point.

Also obvious as we all do CalRides with our new Newtons, where we get to zero miles on return and still need 0.05 miles to complete the CalRide.

Because the usual iBike screen alternates power with mileage, there is no sure way to tell when the rounding artifact has started. One can use other devices to measure distance (in my case an Edge 500 which shows hundredths of a mile where standard rounding up results in a 52 foot error), however I have moved the Edge to my top tube since the standard mount for the Newton takes over handlebars and stem. Hence the Newton is most visible for distance checks against route sheets (and the Edge 500 Courses is a broken feature).

I have never seen any discussion of this on the iBike Forums, so I am not sure of an iBike community sense if distance should be distance traveled or distance with rounding artifact.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Just updated the firmware 602 and noticed that the battery is now showing 0% and the temp is showing 0 F. For Battery I see this both in the setup and the totals screen. 0 F is seen in the enviro screen. Help.

thanks,
Aaron
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Aaron wrote:Just updated the firmware 602 and noticed that the battery is now showing 0% and the temp is showing 0 F. For Battery I see this both in the setup and the totals screen. 0 F is seen in the enviro screen. Help.

thanks,
Aaron
Do a hard reset; press left, center, bottom, and right keys simultaneously. If that does not work email tore@velocomp.com
John Hamann
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Did the hard reset and I get the sam thing. I'll email tore@velocomp.com.

thanks,
Aaron
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Sent this message to tore@velocomp.com and it bounced saying no mailbox with that name. See attached picture to this forum.

Hi,
Just updated the firmware 602 and noticed that the battery is now showing 0% and the temp is showing 0 F. For Battery I see this both in the setup and the totals screen. 0 F is seen in the enviro screen. I sent a message to the ibike forum and John Hammon recommended I do a hard reset and if that didn't work to email you. I did hard reset and that didn't work. After I did a hard reset I got a screen that said Data Setup and then it went to the screen in the attached picture. When I press the center button the computer goes back to the normal screen. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Aaron
Attachments
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 14692 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

It's tgore at velocomp.com
Fernando
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for the email address. I sent an email to him. I'm wondering if I need to reinstall the OS. I went for a ride this morning and once I started riding the temp and the battery started to register accurately. But... now when I go to the battery charge in the totals screens and click the center button, it doesn't turn off the Newton. Weird!

Aaron
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Did you do a hard reset? If not, try it. Hold down the left, center and right buttons for a second or two. Set the date and time and see if everything starts to work as it should.
Fernando
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Just did a hard reset. When I do that, the Newton restarts, I see a screen that says data setup, then it goes to the screen I attached above. When I click the center button it goes from the error screen attached above to the bike computer screen. Now the temp is reading 0 again and the battery is reading 0. Before I did the hard restart the temp was reading accurate and the battery was reading 96%. Not sure what to do, the Newton doesn't seem to be working correctly ever since I upgraded to 602. Also, clicking the center button on the battery screen doesn't shut the Newton off it takes me back to the bike computer screen.

Aaron
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Hmm, so how did you get from the screen shot you posted to almost working correctly?
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Aaron wrote:Just did a hard reset. When I do that, the Newton restarts, I see a screen that says data setup, then it goes to the screen I attached above. When I click the center button it goes from the error screen attached above to the bike computer screen. Now the temp is reading 0 again and the battery is reading 0. Before I did the hard restart the temp was reading accurate and the battery was reading 96%. Not sure what to do, the Newton doesn't seem to be working correctly ever since I upgraded to 602. Also, clicking the center button on the battery screen doesn't shut the Newton off it takes me back to the bike computer screen.

Aaron
Sounds like your unit did not survive the FW update. Please send to us for warranty replacement.
John Hamann
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm starting an 8 week training program next week and am starting with a fitness test the end of this week. Is there a way for you to send me a new one and I'll send the old one back when I get the new one? Or a faster way to do a turn around? Or a way for me to reinstall firmware here?

thanks,
Aaron
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Aaron wrote:I'm starting an 8 week training program next week and am starting with a fitness test the end of this week. Is there a way for you to send me a new one and I'll send the old one back when I get the new one? Or a faster way to do a turn around? Or a way for me to reinstall firmware here?

thanks,
Aaron
Please email Tom Gore at tgore@velocomp.com He will help you.
John Hamann
texmurphy

New Newton firmware 603

Post by texmurphy »

firmware 602 wrote:1) Added “Battery Percentage” (Batt %) screen in Totals (left button). This screen shows how much battery life remains in your Newton. Also, while displaying this screen, if you click the center button, the unit will turn off immediately.
I just did the update to Firmware 6.03 as prompted by Isaac. After unhooking the Newton+, I checked and as described in the update, the Battery Percentage was moved to the first totals screen.
However, when I press the center button it does not do a turn off.
If I go through Setup, then the Battery Percentage screen will turn off with center button press.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Press and hold the button at the battery screen under totals. That's to prevent accidental shut off.
Fernando