Feature Request

ScottChapman

Feature Request

Post by ScottChapman »

Having spent some quality time with the Newton, I have a couple of suggestions for simple features:

1) Add Battery info to totals (since memory is there, battery remaining should be there too)
2) Would be nice to have an easy way to turn off the unit. Not sure exactly what that could be, but it is a tad odd that the only way to do it is from the battery screen on the setup routine...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Feature Request

Post by Velocomp »

Good ideas; keep them coming!
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

You could consider holding a contest. Let folks nominate features (for the unit or software), and then pick the ones that are implementable, and let us vote.

Winner gets a free extra mount (or something).
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

Ability to look up/delete specific ride files would be cool.

On intervals the ability to show cadence along with HR, power and target power.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

jslopez93 wrote:On intervals the ability to show cadence along with HR, power and target power.
+1, actually get rid of HR and replace it with CAD would be my preference.
Fernando
lungbuster

Post by lungbuster »

racerfern wrote:
jslopez93 wrote:On intervals the ability to show cadence along with HR, power and target power.
+1, actually get rid of HR and replace it with CAD would be my preference.
+1, I don't use HR during intervals. prefer CAD.
Regards
Wayne Gebert

http://www.coburgcycling.com.au
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

+1 on ability to delete ride files. Can't tell you how many times I have been caught forgetting to erase the data on the unit. More memory does help, but it's my own brain that needs it in order to remember!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Keep those suggestions coming!

Because of the file structure of the iBike it's impossible to delete individual ride files.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Any way to have it just start freeing up old data? Like a FIFO stack?

Then you could have the software determine if a ride file is complete or not and just not show is in the UI.

.. or something like that...
Russ

Post by Russ »

On the battery, I am quite used to using setup/battery to turn the unit off, no problem for me.

As to charging, I wonder if a charging method options would be beneficial to long term battery life.
That is in some pc's and the Chevy Volt, a charge maxing at about 85% greatly extends the life of the battery.
So since most of my rides are three hours or less, I wonder if such an option for charging would be better, long term.
Then for those occasional very long rides, select 100% charge????

Also on HR/cad Since I train by power and since I have a large stroke volume range, HR is of less interest or use to me
so, an option there or else a duty cycle of, say, 70% CAD and 30% HR back and forth might be an improvement for all???

Thanks,
Russ
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I finish a ride, plug the unit in and download my ride(s). Within minutes I'm done but within that short time the unit is charged back to almost 100%. It's almost like you have to purposely unplug to keep the unit from getting fully charged.

I'm of the mindset that every once in a while you need to completely discharge the unit. That's not easy with the Newton because it charges so quickly.
Fernando
KimG

Post by KimG »

Auto power up when USB cable is plugged into the computer.
whynotride

Post by whynotride »

I thought of this as I was riding today (lots of time to think of ideas) but I don't know if it is possible.
I am one of those people who really doesn't care much about HR or cadence. I would much rather see the CdA screen or at least see it when I want to see it.
I have no idea how the unit gets and processes the info for CdA but maybe it would be possible to have only CdA showing when going downhill?
Times like that cadence and/or HR are of no value at all.
Maybe that would speed up the amount of time required to display CdA also?
Clydeone

Post by Clydeone »

ant+ download capability
timonster

Post by timonster »

I would like to see an elapsed time on the regular display. When doing an interval sometimes I would like to know what speed I am travelling at and how much longer I have to suffer. Currently in order to get elapsed time I need to go into the train- user mode. Also since the current power number jumps dramatically up and down, it's always good to have a gauge like speed to know that I am not going crazy when I see power dropping by 50-100w at a time.
dgf

Post by dgf »

I was thinking the other day it would be kinda cool or convenient in the training modes to somehow scale ones FTP to equal 100 and the display to show your target watts and current watts on that scale...sure it's cool to look at bigger, actual numbers but my brain would process 85 as representing 85% of my FTP alot better than it does 229 as 85% of 270 in the heat of the moment.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

dgf wrote:I was thinking the other day it would be kinda cool or convenient in the training modes to somehow scale ones FTP to equal 100 and the display to show your target watts and current watts on that scale...sure it's cool to look at bigger, actual numbers but my brain would process 85 as representing 85% of my FTP alot better than it does 229 as 85% of 270 in the heat of the moment.
We could do this, but it's not clear to me that this would be a welcome change for other users. Let's see how others respond...
John Hamann
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

Velocomp wrote:
dgf wrote:I was thinking the other day it would be kinda cool or convenient in the training modes to somehow scale ones FTP to equal 100 and the display to show your target watts and current watts on that scale...sure it's cool to look at bigger, actual numbers but my brain would process 85 as representing 85% of my FTP alot better than it does 229 as 85% of 270 in the heat of the moment.
We could do this, but it's not clear to me that this would be a welcome change for other users. Let's see how others respond...
Frankly I think how Garmin's Edge Series lets you set power zones based on FTP, and then displays what power zone you are in, is much handier and intuitive. The method suggested above forces one to do a little mental arithmetic to figure out what zone you are in. I use this especially when I need to hold to a certain zone when doing intervals.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Velocomp wrote:
John, would it be possible to use the small digit under the middle display number to indicate current power zone?
I read a reply here to an unrelated request that that digit was limited by the LCD screen to certain values (1,2,4 & 8?) and had no actual purpose.
However that must be out of date because that display value is currently used to display interval count from 1 to 9 when in "Fit Train" mode.
So given that "standard" power zones are 1 through 7, it should be possible to display the digit that corresponds to whichever power zone you are in.
You could use "standard" zone ranges and/or (perhaps as a feature for a upgrade ;) ) allow customization of the zones eg via Isaac.
Nik10134

Post by Nik10134 »

Hi,
i'm new in Newton and i think it will be a great feature to have current lap time during the ride.
I know that it is possible in train mode, but not during a "free ride". In this way it's not possible to check hills riding time during a distance training...

Let me know :)