GPS with newton

jslopez93

GPS with newton

Post by jslopez93 »

It's been posted that ibike folk will have some clever way of adding (importing?) gps info with newton.

Information may not be ready for public consumption yet but I figured I'd put a post so it's easier to track down once information becomes available.
calgot

Re: GPS with newton

Post by calgot »

Any news on this?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are working on some other things right now, but this is now near the top of the plate.
John Hamann
calgot

Post by calgot »

It would obviously be very interesting to know some more details.... :)
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

jslopez93 wrote:It's been posted that ibike folk will have some clever way of adding (importing?) gps info with newton.
Are you currently merging your GPS data with the Newton data in Isaac?
Fernando
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

I am not and am curious to find out the steps (I have an Iphone 4).

Thanks!
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

* Export the GPS data into a format that iBike can open. For GPS data, this will typically be GPX, TCX, or FIT. (Note that Isaac can also import text exports from SRM SW & Poweragent for Powertap, and HRM files from the Polar SW.)
* Make sure you have advanced menus set so they can view the necessary menu item later: View -> Menus -> Advanced
* Open the iBike ride file to merge the GPS data into.
* Select File -> Merge Data from Another Device...

The SW will show the speed signal from both the iBike and the GPS file and will show how well aligned they are. The user will then be given the opportunity to select which data signals to merge into their iBike file.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

So which app do you use on the iPhone?
Fernando
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

Mainly using strava but open to gettin otehr programs.

are these merged file compatible with trainingpeaks?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Using Strava you can download the ride file in TCX format and merge it with the iBike data in Isaac.

However, you should be able to export your iBike file as a CSV or TCX, then upload to training peaks even though it doesn't have GPS data. After all, the interest is in the power data.
Fernando
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

We are working on some other things right now, but this is now near the top of the plate.
So, does this mean that you're working on another / different way of getting GPS data into an iBike ride file - i..e. something different than merging the file with a Garmin; iPhone; or Android phone GPS file?

Something that wouldn't require the use of two computer units?

Thanks,

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Must be to busy working on it .... :)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We're busy, working on a lot of things :D
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

Velocomp wrote: We're busy, working on a lot of things :D

Great! Keep up the good work!

I have yet to be anything less than tickled with the improvements coming efforts effort! :D

Thanks,
Russ
jayt

Post by jayt »

John,

It has now been more than half of a year since your last reply on this. What amazing solution have you guys come up with?

Regards,
Jay
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We haven't forgotten about this. Coming soon...
John Hamann
seanw18

Post by seanw18 »

I'm sure other people have already worked this out but I couldn't find any mention of it so I thought i'd post in case it helps someone else....

I have a newton with the GT firmware upgrade and a sony xperia android phone with ant+. Using an app called ipbike https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bike&hl=en I can record the speed cadence and ibike power data directly and then upload from the phone directly to strava (also RunKeeper, TrainingPeaks and Attackpoint) without using isaac every day to merge gpx files. The app works well even though the user interface isn't the best.

While my phone has built in Ant+ capability I notice that there are usb host ant+ dongles available for android now too http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php ... -ant-stick.

I'm sure the new official functionality will surpass this solution, but for the moment this saves me a lot of hassle.
donnybike

Post by donnybike »

seanw18 wrote:I'm sure other people have already worked this out but I couldn't find any mention of it so I thought i'd post in case it helps someone else....

I have a newton with the GT firmware upgrade and a sony xperia android phone with ant+. Using an app called ipbike https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bike&hl=en I can record the speed cadence and ibike power data directly and then upload from the phone directly to strava (also RunKeeper, TrainingPeaks and Attackpoint) without using isaac every day to merge gpx files. The app works well even though the user interface isn't the best.

While my phone has built in Ant+ capability I notice that there are usb host ant+ dongles available for android now too http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php ... -ant-stick.

I'm sure the new official functionality will surpass this solution, but for the moment this saves me a lot of hassle.
Thanks for good info!
It is a great way to include GPS data into a newton ride file!
Will Velocomp use this solution to incorporate GPS into the ride file?
Is Newton + GPS Near to release?
Thanks!
turingdesign

Post by turingdesign »

Really dumb question,

just to confirm, we can get power from the newton over ANT+? I thought we could only use teh newton to read signals from other sensors, not supply power data to a garmin GPS or what not...

If that's the case I am going to use a garmin bike gps to read power from my newton...

thanks
Andrew
KimG

Post by KimG »

Andrew,

I use a Garmin 500 to record everything (power, speed, location, etc.) but to get the power figures from the Newton you will need to get the GT upgrade installed on your iBike. Once the upgrade is done the Newton starts transmitting the power signal that the Garmin 500 can read.

Kimball
jayt

Post by jayt »

I solve the problem exactly the same way as KimG. GT upgrade that outputs power to my Garmin Edge 500. Now that the Newton is so good at making corrections and adjustments during the ride and thus really does not require processing after the ride, the numbers are good.
jayt

Post by jayt »

It has been quite some time, any comment on the ingenious solution for how to integrate GPS data with the Newton other than the file merge option in Isaac or sending the power data to something like a Garmin GPS for recording?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jayt wrote:It has been quite some time, any comment on the ingenious solution for how to integrate GPS data with the Newton other than the file merge option in Isaac or sending the power data to something like a Garmin GPS for recording?
Yup. Here's a Newton file recorded yesterday, with GPS data in it. There were no changes to the Newton, except for a key that was installed into it...and something else. Click on the Google Earth icon to see where the ride happened!

How does it work? Extremely well; :D more details very soon.
Attachments
JRH_07_14_2013_1728_13_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(507.83 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

John,

Very nice. Now you do have my attention. I hope I can add it to my current Newton. I don't mind paying for a software key (just don't get too carried away with the price). Looking forward to the announcement. Hey, if you need beta testers, drop me a line!

Jay
seanw18

Post by seanw18 »

doh! Maybe I shouldn't have purchased the GT key ...
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

never tried that before, can do the same thing with my merged Garmin file, nothing new required, still pretty cool.
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Is there an advantage in accuracy by letting Issac merge the GPS data and then sending it to Strava? Seems like cell phone GPS tracks, while getting better all the time, aren't the most accurate.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged