New Handlebar and Stem mount for Newton

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: New Handlebar and Stem mount for Newton

Post by Velocomp »

ScottChapman wrote:D you think this mount will work on the FSA K-Wing handlebars? The tragic thing about the bars is that they do not have much space near the stem to mount cycling computers (and my stem s a fancy Look one that I KNOW the mount won't work on).

I am considering getting the FSA control center which looks like this:
But I wonder if there is enough space to mount that then maybe there is enough space for your mount?

(may also have to consider the steering tube mount as by plan-C)
We looked at a prior version years ago. It is a flimsy mount--at least, for the iBike.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Yea this looks like it could be more stable. I do have to mount both a Garmin 500 and the iBike. So, only having the stem to mount on will be a challenge!
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I took the Garmin 800 and mounted it on the top-tube - the o-rings get stretched a little more, but it is possible.
But I also like the steerer mount over the stem mount - but another key for me if a centered position with exposure over the bar so that the wind scaling is reasonable. For any of the Garmins that use the tie wraps this is an even easier solution - just remember to put a strip of sheet rubbe between the tube and tie wraps or the mount will slip.

Tom
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

On your bike frame? Really? Can you show a picture?
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Two bikes - Specialize Roubaix and a Trek Madone - each has the quick mount, but the tie-wraps for the previous mount worked - just had to put a rubber strip between the mount and top tube to avoid slipping.

Tom
Attachments
IMG_0097.png
IMG_0097.png (121.71 KiB) Viewed 21677 times
IMG_0096.png
IMG_0096.png (133.37 KiB) Viewed 21673 times
mtbdcd

Post by mtbdcd »

Curious, do you use your garmin to just gather information and download after the ride? Or do you actively use it during the ride.
I believe I would find that position to be really awkward for pushing the side buttons and not a very good position to look at the display. But understand everyone is different, i.e. not a criticism, just my viewpoint.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I too have my Garmin 705 on the top tube except closer to the head tube. I used it to navigate courses and also to display screens such as HR/AVGHR, CAD/AVGCAD side by side. I can easily hit buttons on a course to see upcoming directions, upcoming elevation, etc. On century rides I put a Bento box up there and just put the 705 at the top of all the stuff. Works like a charm as I can see right through the netting.

The 705 captures the iAero data making for easy uploading to some sites.
Fernando
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I can do several things = first was to set up the main display for values that were not on the iBike - you get a fair amount of info from the iBike, but why not supplement it - so I have the ride time on the Garmin, With a fairly long list of values the Garmin can display, take your pick. - Alternatively, you can set up the map - but for me, I usually am riding the same route, so that is not needed until I analyze. With traffic and the like, you end up stopping and you can get a better look at some of the information you may have set up - or the map.

I would put the Garmin closer to the head tube - if I could find o-rings of a larger diameter, allowing them to wrap around the top tubes.

The iBike on the steerer (and better viewing) just provides relative wind power and the alternating HR/cadence.

Either unit is not what I tend to stare at :roll:

Tom
kondrag

Post by kondrag »

Well, despite two emails requesting an order change for the new stem mount and assurances that Sandi would get back to me, she never did and I got a second universal mount with my shipment.

I can return the universal mount with my iBike trade-in, if that works.

Everything else looks great! I'm excited to get the Newton its first ride today.

Velocomp wrote:We have been SLAMMED with orders :-)

Sandi is working through everything and will get back to you.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kondrag wrote:Well, despite two emails requesting an order change for the new stem mount and assurances that Sandi would get back to me, she never did and I got a second universal mount with my shipment.

I can return the universal mount with my iBike trade-in, if that works.

Everything else looks great! I'm excited to get the Newton its first ride today.

Velocomp wrote:We have been SLAMMED with orders :-)

Sandi is working through everything and will get back to you.
Please send an email to Sandi at speeples@velocomp.com

It has been a real challenge to deal with all of the changes that have been made to initial orders but we are doing our best.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Did these just start shipping?
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

... And why are these so expensive The website show this costs as much as the old wireless mount and the existing universal mount? I thought this would be a bunch cheaper!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Dual mounts will start shipping June 13.

Price is $69, about 1/2 of what wireless mounts used to be.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

I sit corrected, the old wireless mount is a lot more expensive...
KimG

Post by KimG »

Just received my new Newton+ and it looks great; I received it as a present from my wife. While I very pleased with the head unit itself I'm a bit surprised with the massive handlebar mounting bridge that's included with the purchase. Seeing the mounting bracket illustration that leads this post I was expecting something like that to be used; am I the only new owner surprised with the size of mounting bridge included with the Newton+. Is this new mounting bracket an upgrade to the handlebar mounting bridge; if so how much does it cost and when will it be available for purchase? While I can use the current bridge during the summer months once it starts getting darker early I want to be able to reattach my headlight to my handlebars.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No, the "universal" handlebar mount is an older design.

We will begin shipping the much smaller "Dual" mount on Wednesday. Check the iBike Store for pricing.
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

Did the "dual mounts" actually start shipping yesterday?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes!
John Hamann
hawkesworthm

Post by hawkesworthm »

I just received my Newton and I'm seriously confused. I received the Newton, a USB to USB Mini cable, and what appears to be only part of a mount. The mount is made of metal and the part that slides on to the back of the Newton is obvious. It's then mounted directly to a flat plate with a long hex bolt. Am I missing a bottom half of the mounting plate? There's nothing for the mount to attach to and I'm not sure what to attach this hex bolt to?

Matt
KenS

Post by KenS »

Sounds like you've got the steerer tube mount
-- Ken
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

KenS wrote:Sounds like you've got the steerer tube mount
+1
Fernando
hawkesworthm

Post by hawkesworthm »

Okay, I'm supposed to have that, but how does it mount? Do I remove the cap from the top of my stem and screw it directly in there? There's no directions so maybe that's why I'm confused.

Matt
hawkesworthm

Post by hawkesworthm »

I figured it out. Yes, I am supposed to remove the stem cap and mount directly. Thanks!
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Does this mount require the use of the double sided sticky tape like the iAero did?

I sure hope not. That tape is a real PITA to get off the stem (having just done it when taking off the iAero to install the Newton+)

Thanks,

Robert
hawkesworthm

Post by hawkesworthm »

No tape required for the steerer tube mounth. I can't say on the bar mount because I don't have that one.
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

hawkesworthm wrote:No tape required for the steerer tube mounth. I can't say on the bar mount because I don't have that one.
I have the steerer tube mount my main bike (and yes, definitely no tape required) but have been thinking about possible trying this new mount on my second bike.

Definitely would like to know if this mount requires the double sticky tape like the previous stem mount for the iAero did.

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes we use double sticky tape on top portion of mount. If using stem position you can likely remove the tape but we recommend against it for handlebar position.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

New mount is great guys! Won't work for my one bike with fancy shaped handlebars, but I'll use the steerer tube mount for that one.

Awesome setup all around. You guys have done a really great job!
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Has anyone used this mount on the handlebars and mounted a Garmin on the stem?

I was thinking about using a Barfly ( http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 3&minor=18 ) to mount the Garmin and just leave my iBike on the Steerer Tube mount but I'm concerned about turbulence affecting the iBike readings.

It seems like the iBike out in front and the Garmin behind would be the most accurate configuration.

Anyone have any thoughts / comments / experiences with any of these configurations?

Thanks,

Robert
jayt

Post by jayt »

Why does the dual mount cost $69!!! It is a beautiful piece of hardware, but that is WAY TOO Expensive. You might as well buy the new iPhone 5 Phone Booth for $60 and save $9 AND get a case. Also, note that you sell the iPhone 5 second bike kit for $69 and it looks to include the SAME dual mount AND a sensor. The sensors generally run $30 to $40. This is the one thing that is hard to understand when iBIke sports seems to gouge on the add on stuff. I just want to be able to add more mounts to my bike and not spend an arm and a leg. $30 for the new mount is still kinda expensive, but more in line with what it seems that it should be (ok maybe even $40).

For my Garmin 500 I can spend $10 to $15 and get TWO mounts (granted a much simpler system, but still).