My Newton cannot find my Garmin sensors

babyboomer

My Newton cannot find my Garmin sensors

Post by babyboomer »

I have an iBike Newton running firmware version 5.05. For reasons unknown, it will not connect to my Garmin speed or cadence sensors (I have Garmin's separate cadence and speed sensors that do not require magnets). I know that they are transmitting because my Garmin Edge 1000 can see them. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't imagine that I can perform a calibration ride without them. I've tried resetting the Newton to start from scratch, but I still haven't had any luck.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: My Newton cannot find my Garmin sensors

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...there should be zero problems. Do a Hard Reset of your Newton, then do a Scan. Please post any messages that your Newton screen shows during and after the Scan
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Velocomp wrote:Hmm...there should be zero problems. Do a Hard Reset of your Newton, then do a Scan. Please post any messages that your Newton screen shows during and after the Scan
Yep, it appears that a hard reset did the trick. Strangely enough, now that the Newton sees all of my sensors, my Garmin Edge 1000 won't connect to my heart rate monitor. :-( Anyway, that's a problem for the Garmin forum.

After performing a hard reset, do I need to reinstall additional feature codes?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No need to do anything other than make sure your date/time is correct. All your other profile information is unaffected.

Hard resets won't cause your Garmin 1000 to misbehave!
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Velocomp wrote:...Hard resets won't cause your Garmin 1000 to misbehave!
I found a discussion thread in a Garmin forum where I discovered that this is a known problem. A recent firmware upgrade for the Edge 1000 has "broken" earlier models of their heart rate monitor chest straps.