How to do Gravel Grider, CX, and MTB calibrations

jazclrint

How to do Gravel Grider, CX, and MTB calibrations

Post by jazclrint »

I ask this with great trepidation, and with the realization that you guys have better things to do. But, I will be putting my new Newton on my MTB (which I am sure you know by now) and my CX bike that I hope to race (when I finish building it). But I will also be doing training rides with my shop's CX team on gravel roads. We even have our own race. Then there is the whole immerging gravel/adventure market which has a number of people riding on dirt roads a fair bit. So not only do I want to know for myself, but also so I know to help sell the product (if the team wants them I am certain the boss will become a dealer) and make sure the customers are happy and setup properly.

So the question is this, with the new Newton and all the new sensors and firmware, and complex programming, and Isaac (I've been using my iSport since 2010), what is the best procedure for calibrating these bikes? Having read the instructions and as much as I can find in this forum I am wondering if for the CX and Gravel Grinders a "better" cal and the 10 minute cal ride ride on asphalt is the way to go, and then let the Newton figure out it is on gravel. Is there a setting I need to know about to make sure I don't screw it up?

The MTB, I am assuming a "best" cal is the only course of action, but again on the same asphalt road with coast downs and all, and again figuring the Newton can get the rolling resistance close enough when on the trail.

Both of the above scenarios are set in the thinking that in both CX and MTBing you can't really, and don't change riding position. So I am hoping the Newton knows this and uses the Cda as a constant to vary the Crr. Now please know I am not looking for perfection from the Newton in these extreme cases. I am simply trying to make sure I am doing things the best way possible to help the Newton be as accurate as possible.

The other theory is to do "better" cal rides on the exact surfaces the bikes will be ridden on.

Thank you
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged