Auto Shutoff

spinepa

Auto Shutoff

Post by spinepa »

Hi all is there a way to bypass the auto shutoff and make it manual only.
Thanks for any input
Jeff
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Auto Shutoff

Post by Velocomp »

To preserve battery life the Newton will shut itself off after 20 minutes of inactivity. There is no way to bypass this safety function.

If you want to turn off the Newton manually click the left arrow once; Batt % will appear.

Press-hold the center button. "Off" will appear. Release the center button and the Newton will turn off immediately.
John Hamann
Pete

Post by Pete »

Perhaps also worth noting that even after auto shut off, when you manually turn back on the same ride will continue.
A new ride won't be triggered for something like four (?) hours of inactivity eg overnight.
You can always manually reset a new ride and/or split/combine files afterwards.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Pete wrote:Perhaps also worth noting that even after auto shut off, when you manually turn back on the same ride will continue.
A new ride won't be triggered for something like four (?) hours of inactivity eg overnight.
You can always manually reset a new ride and/or split/combine files afterwards.
Correct on all counts. If the device goes to sleep "naturally" it will hold the same ride file for 4 hours (gives you lots of time to take a long break!)

After 4 hours the Newton will do an automatic Trip Reset.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

What actually keeps the Newton awake when near/at the go-to-sleep timeout?

On club rides we might do a coffee break of about 20 minutes mid-ride. I then often get on the bike, see that the Newton is still awake, and start off.
Yet then I glance down and the Newton has done an auto-shut off. This is not infrequent.
There generally is not much power produced - i.e. just a start roll-out with light pedaling - and then Newton enters sleep mode.
It is almost as if resuming motion triggers an event in the Newton which first checks a sleep mode countdown timer and forces sleep instead of noticing resume activity.

Strange is that just before post-break rollout, I can even press the Enviro button to check temp/time/elevation and then start off and the Newton will still go to sleep mode. So a button press seems not enough to reset the count-down to sleep timer.
Pete

Post by Pete »

spinepa wrote:Hi all is there a way to bypass the auto shutoff and make it manual only.
Thanks for any input
Jeff
I found out by accident the other day that if you are in "fit train mode" Newton will not auto shutoff
I put it in "fit train" towards the end of my commute to time & average a hill.
I forgot to turn off this mode when I parked my bike
It was still running when I came to ride home 8 hours later :)

Pete
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote:To preserve battery life the Newton will shut itself off after 20 minutes of inactivity. There is no way to bypass this safety function.

If you want to turn off the Newton manually click the left arrow once; Batt % will appear.

Press-hold the center button. "Off" will appear. Release the center button and the Newton will turn off immediately.
So there is no way to use Newton as a constantly working, reliable thermometer for hiking.

As a sidenote I did want to use Newton as a thermometer continuously showing the temperature while I am hiking. But since there is no GPS receiver, so the frequent meeting of a speed sensor and a magnet is needed to keep it awake, I gave it u. I had a Joule 2.0, which did not have a GPSr either, but my trick was to use heart rate as a record control. Alas, Newton does not have this option either. I know my idea is not common one, so I guess Newton will not be my hiking company.
To tear down the remaining of my reputation I also wondered whether it is somehow possible to exploit Newton for wind measurement during hiking. You know I'd be ready to make an out and back calibration wearing my hiking boots. :-)
Russ

Post by Russ »

Hello Zoltan,

I have a possible solution but you may reject it.
With the Newton mounted on top of your hat:
Place a magnet on one boot and a speed sensor on the other!
Trouble with that is to get the data you want you may need to keep a
high cadence :=)

Russ
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

A good point, Russ. :-)

To be honest I have more tools to be considered. First of all I have two Joule GPSs, so I would not be extremely sad, if I broke one of them. On the other hand its mounting is easier, it goes to a rounded, slim plastic, which can be fastened to a handlebar with different size O rings. Normally :-). I put one to my right running shoe, using the lace. I have already a Suunto footpod on the left. :-). Maybe I would kill Joule if I really run with it, because hitting my shoes to the ground at a speed of >10 km/h with a running cadence of >80 is a shock for plastic mounts. But maybe hiking is not a killer activity for it.

Until now I made some short walks of 5-10 minutes which showed me that Joule is too slow to get the real temperature if your moving speed is slow. So I tested all the three devices putting them outside our house and inside, and again and again. Newton is the real winner, if the gadgets are not moving, it shows the real temperature within 10 mins. So I am stuck a bit, because its mount is a bulky one, but if I dont mount Newton just put it into the pockets or even into my bag being on my back, my body temperature will definitely affect it, moreover I need a universal setup working for both hiking and running.

There is Garmin Tempe, which could be a nice solution, but it cant be paired any of my gadgets, and I am not ready to buy a 920XT or Fenix, since I have 910XT, or 62s(t/c), since I have 60csx. And I dont think that Velocomp or Cycleops would ever make a Garmin Tempe pairable to its products.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Zoltan,

I have an idea you might try. Purchase one of the hand held wheel distance measuring devices. You may have to extend the handle some way and mount it like a trailer from your belt, probably attached to both sides for stability. Then mount the magnet, sensor and iBike back on your 'trailer'! It should be light enough that your would barely notice it's presence. If, by chance, the wheel is too small a circumference for iBike, just double it and do the math later for correction, if you want speed data. Actually that may increase your resolution a bit with the low numbers you would accumulate for speed!

Just thinking :-)
Russ
KenS

Post by KenS »

If you want to use Newton for wind measurement you need to be hiking at more than 8 km/h otherwise it shows 0 wind.
If you are adept at some electronics and programming you could try to build your own device using Arduino. All the sensors you want are readily available.
Maybe someone has already designed one so try over at the Arduino forums.
-- Ken
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

KenS wrote:If you want to use Newton for wind measurement you need to be hiking at more than 8 km/h otherwise it shows 0 wind.
If you are adept at some electronics and programming you could try to build your own device using Arduino. All the sensors you want are readily available.
Maybe someone has already designed one so try over at the Arduino forums.
Thanks for the hint.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Today I made a longer test hiking and I am pleased with the result that my Joule GPS gave me. Yesterday I bought a new pair of boots and I used the same setup on it like on my running shoes:

Russ

Post by Russ »

zoltan,

That looks really neat on your new boot, glad that works out for you.

Now given Ken's point and if you still want wind data, think more about the trailer idea.

If the wheel is not too large, you can double even triple or quadruple the circumference that you tell the iBike is the case. This increases your apparent speed to the device and causes it to record the wind data, along with inflated distance and speed.

I know you are versed in the spreadsheet so after the hike, just do a little math on the distance, speed and wind to get good data.

Of course you should do an out and back calibration hike and it would be short by the multiplication value :-)

Post a nice picture of you with the rig if you do this!

Regards,
Russ
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Russ, before going to far, please keep in mind that a wounded animal can kick quite big with his feet, especially wearing massive new boots. ;-) So do not hurt too much animals like me. :-)
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear friend Zoltan,

I did not mean to hurt! Please forgive me. I have enjoyed the ideas of how to use the beloved iBike in ways not intended by Velocomp and you have certainly contributed great ideas, perhaps my unlimited imagination needs some reasonable limits!

I think we both would love for a few firmware tweeks such as turning off the lower limits on speed and cadence for special cases.
For whatever reason, Velocomp seems to not want their product (our devices) to be used by us for just any old idea we think of :roll:

That said, Velocomp has done a very nice job for all that they have agreed with and it is their product to improve :D

Regards,
Russ
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Mate, you did not go too far, this is why I wrote "before going too far". :-)

I know, I am a maniac. :-)
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Russ wrote: for just any old idea we think of :roll:
you mean odd, dont you? :-)
Russ

Post by Russ »

Zoltan and all,

Full disclosure here, I have nothing to hide when it comes to odd :-)

Here is a picture of one of my failed iBike experiments. The objective was to measure my breathing rate during a step test to find my ventilatory threshold. The VT is said to be quite close to the lactate threshold but no blood is drawn :-)

This gizmo uses a painters mask modified for a (new) plastic vacuum cleaner hose and a couple of breath driven devices.
First is the wind speed device which has a magnet and reed switch similar to the wired iBike sensors so I moded an old wired sensor base to hook up there for the speed sensor and used a HVAC pressure switch to sense the inhale/exhale pressure change and drive the cadence sensor.

This worked basically but the plot was foiled by the 30rpm cutoff in the iBike.... drats!

Now with all this out in the open, now. Perhaps Velocomp might see the additional application of the iBike to a home performance lab. Perhaps with the remote wind sensor directly to the mask instead of the hose and the Newton could be on an exercise bike collecting heart rate, power, speed and breathing rate with the headwind/tailwind change rate of breathing recoreded by the wind sensor. It would only need a few firmware and software addtitions to support this. I think it would be popular.

Also their selection of painters mask, with the addition of a hose fitting to the RWS should be a nice addition to the charge for a key for this. Velocomp, you can have my idea for free, I would be glad to beta test this!

I might add that in this picture, the wind sensor is spinning so the three cups do not show up. I also had not added the HVAC switch to the rig yet, it was mounted on the wood riser.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all,
Russ
iBike_Gizmo.jpg
iBike_Gizmo.jpg (140 KiB) Viewed 11126 times