iBike Newton mount failures

aytchkay

iBike Newton mount failures

Post by aytchkay »

I'm not sure which category this should go, but I have 2 bikes that I use my Newton on. In one week both mounts broke! They have been on these bikes for over a year, and suddenly a part of the bottom of the mounts cracked (it's plastic but looks like metal). One of the mounts is the universal mount (nice design) while the other is an awful, clunky thing that came with the Newton (I paid extra for the dual mount for the 2nd bike). Why on earth did you guys even design that clunky one ? It's got 2 mounting brackets bridged by a piece of aluminum that holds the Newton, so you need a lot of bar space for it. I guess it was designed to go over the stem/bar connection.

Anyway, I'm so disappointed with the physical aspects of the various iBike parts. The wireless speed/cadence sensor is a poor design with that wire. I've gone thru 2 of those. I bought
Garmin's version, which has no wire and is a much better design.They're a year old and working well on both bikes.

My Newton has been replaced twice because of malfunctions.

I've had the Gen 3, which has gone thru 3 wireless mounts. Even the USB connector went bad on me!

I started with the original iBike. I never got that one to work accurately - continuous communications as the bugs were worked out. Now I know what 'beta-testing' is.

To sum up this lengthy rant, I'm disappointed with the 'parts' that work well for about a year, then have to be replaced again and again. I guess a Newton has yearly maintenance costs. I think I'm done. Newton is going on eBay.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: iBike Newton mount failures

Post by Velocomp »

We changed materials about 9 months ago. We will replace your mounts under warranty.
John Hamann
aytchkay

Post by aytchkay »

Well, I failed to mention the support. I am very pleased with the level of support that you and your staff provide. Whenever I've had a problem, you guys DID address it, and in most cases, solved the problem.

I appreciate the opportunity to replace my mounts. Please let me know how to do that..
brotherchris

Post by brotherchris »

I will second your comment on support. I have had nothing but the best support.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

aytchkay wrote:Well, I failed to mention the support. I am very pleased with the level of support that you and your staff provide. Whenever I've had a problem, you guys DID address it, and in most cases, solved the problem.

I appreciate the opportunity to replace my mounts. Please let me know how to do that..
Please email Tom Gore tore@velocomp.com with your shipping address and needs. He will take care of you.
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

John, that is good news. I had the same failure a few months ago and your support folks told me too bad, I could purchase a replacement if I wished. I guess I will try again.