Cross winds and the newton

richwagmn

Cross winds and the newton

Post by richwagmn »

I'm noticing that if I'm riding in a decent cross wind (say 10-15mph), the Newton will often read super low power numbers (say 40w) when I'm working really hard just to move forward.

Is there anything I can to do to improve the readings? Note that I have the new mount where the unit sits in front of the handlebars on my road bike.

Thanks.
brotherchris

Re: Cross winds and the newton

Post by brotherchris »

I experienced the same thing yesterday. I had some significant winds on the ride and when I would turn out of the wind just slightly, my watt readings would drop to 0-50 watts even as I was climbing with the wind only about 30 degrees off the front. I wouldn't make a fuss if it was just for a second or so, but the interval was much longer. Any ideas? Is this a case where I need a remote wind sensor?

chris
richwagmn

Post by richwagmn »

This is my same issue too. No big deal if it happens for a short time, but when you're riding long distances into cross winds, seeing 50 watts when you're killing yourself tells me something is wrong.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post some ride files.
John Hamann
brotherchris

Post by brotherchris »

There are several places in the attached file that show what I'm talking about. At about 1:03:59 to 1:04:55 there was no change in direction and cadence was pretty much the same and it was climbing a hill. I remember the wind was about 30 off the front on my left.

I'm wondering if the mount on my stem is causing the issue.
Attachments
iBike_05_11_2014_0805_42_Miles.ibr
(934.47 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your ride file shows a sudden shift in wind from headwind to tailwind. Then it jumps up at around 1:05.

Were you riding in a group? Were you riding in the draft in this section? Wind speed drop is consistent with drafting.
John Hamann
richwagmn

Post by richwagmn »

Miles 34 to 36 or so. I'll try to do just a short ride in a cross wind.

But I consistently see very low wattage numbers in cross winds.
Attachments
iBike_05_10_2014_1122_39_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 259 times
brotherchris

Post by brotherchris »

The file I posted was riding solo. I also noticed the same thing from yesterday on my ride home from work. I can tell from my RPE that I was working very hard and the data shows a climb with a regular cadence and a power from 0-50 watts.

chris
iBike_05_21_2014_1620_6_Miles.ibr
(120.52 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
There was a brutal head or cross wind the whole way except the last quarter mile. When I look at the wind data, it doesn't tell that story.

This file is from a flat bar (cross bike) with no obstructions.

chris