Power And Speed not Displaying

Lobo

Power And Speed not Displaying

Post by Lobo »

IBike:
First let me say I have been using the Newton for almost a year and have until recently had good fortune using the Newton. However, the last few rides have been frustrating to say the least. First, there were wild fluctuations in power, speed, and mileage. Now I am getting no power reading or am I getting speed readings. I have the unit paired with a Garmin 500 (from the beginning). I have done the sensor check on the Newton and it recognizes the Heart and spcd functions from the Garmin. On the Garmin it detects the ant speed and ant power connection. I have tried to do a calibration on the Garmin for the Newton but this function continues to time out before doing a full calibration. My Garmin unit is recording my data sans the power information. The Newton is recording my heart rate, wind and elevation fluctuations. Can you please guide me to a solution. Thank you for your time.

Jesse McGuire
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power And Speed not Displaying

Post by Velocomp »

Tom Gore will email you.
John Hamann
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

John & Tom:

I read your suggestions and attempted to get the unit working. No such luck, however, I went ahead and installed the speed and cadence sensors that came with the Newton (was using the Garmin sensors). Well after installation and some fine adjustments all is well. I did a fit test, failed the first time, Adjusted the speed sensor and that Fit Test went well. Still perplexed as to why the Garmin sensors stopped being paired with the Newton. Both units indicated that they were paired, however when I would start my ride no speed or watts would display. HR and cadence did. Again thank you for your time and assistance.

Jesse
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Lobo wrote:John & Tom:

I read your suggestions and attempted to get the unit working. No such luck, however, I went ahead and installed the speed and cadence sensors that came with the Newton (was using the Garmin sensors). Well after installation and some fine adjustments all is well. I did a fit test, failed the first time, Adjusted the speed sensor and that Fit Test went well. Still perplexed as to why the Garmin sensors stopped being paired with the Newton. Both units indicated that they were paired, however when I would start my ride no speed or watts would display. HR and cadence did. Again thank you for your time and assistance.

Jesse
We have recently seen some flaky--and undocumented--issues with Garmin sensors, particularly older ones. Though there is an ANT+ spec, which all manufacturers are supposed to follow--that does not mean that it is followed. And if the spec is not followed we can't anticipate the problems.

We're delighted your iBike sensors worked!
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I have had Garmin sensors on my bikes - if they get wet - I have had failures. The battery can get low and a Garmin head will still detect, but the iBike/Newton may not. It depends on the line-of-sight from the sensor to the point where you have the unit mounted - sometime just that small difference and the signal is blocked.

The wiring in the Garmin Speed/Cadence unit is cheap - the o-ring that is supposed to keep the internals dry can slip and the moisture resistance is gone. Usually an attempt to fix this results in the speed sensor portion breaking the wire and the unit is toast.

Tom
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Lobo wrote:... no speed or watts would display. HR and cadence did.
Low battery on the Garmin gsc-10 will show cadence but no speed. Battery can fail overnight if left with the magnets over the gsc-10 sensors.
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Gentlemen:

Thank you for all your input and help. It really is impressive to see such dedication to helping your customers solve issues that may pop up. Thank you for your time and patience, it is much appreciated by customers such as myself.

Jesse