analysing cal ride data?

rons

analysing cal ride data?

Post by rons »

I just did a cal ride and tried to use he setup download cal data but it does not seem to want to go through the process? It seems to link on an iBike+DFPM and since it was not a coast down that is greyed out but why the DFPM? I am not certain why this option exists? So what is the plan... I did a ride that was under the cal program in the iBike unit, it did not ask for a tilt cal which is what I expected, it was the right distance out and back etc then it went straight into ride mode. When I got back I tried to work with the file which does not seem to work intuitively.

So what are the steps I am missing here?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: analysing cal ride data?

Post by Velocomp »

We aren't using the "Download coastdown and calibration ride" feature right now.

We will work on adding this back in.
John Hamann
rons

Post by rons »

So is it that if I want a new cal ride I must use a profile that is set to factory presets first? Not sure I understand how to get this right. I know I can edit or extract data from ride files and ibike under edit profiles but what is interesting while I did the out and back yesterday the power readings at the start were out to lunch then as the ride progressed they came into line. Does that mean the Newton was performing calculations while the ride was under way? Also at the time I had it set to profile 4, so if it did the calculations for the various items then are they stored there?
thanks for your help.
Ron
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Mr. Velocomp is traveling and asked me to address you questions.
rons wrote:So is it that if I want a new cal ride I must use a profile that is set to factory presets first?
That is not necessary--it is fine to do a cal ride with an existing profile. In that case, the cal ride will update some parameters (including wind scaling and tilt cal) while other parameters from your profile are kept intact (including CdA, Crr, and total weight).
rons wrote:I know I can edit or extract data from ride files and ibike under edit profiles but what is interesting while I did the out and back yesterday the power readings at the start were out to lunch then as the ride progressed they came into line. Does that mean the Newton was performing calculations while the ride was under way?
Yes, during the cal ride the Newton recalculates the tilt calibration during the first part of the ride, and that can result in large degree of "out to lunch-ness" in the power readings during that initial portion of the ride. Don't worry about it, because once the Newton has had the chance to update the tilt calibration the power values will come into line.
rons wrote:Also at the time I had it set to profile 4, so if it did the calculations for the various items then are they stored there?
Yes. Once you save the profile in Isaac, you are free to put it back into any profile slot in the Newton.

Travis
rons

Post by rons »

Thanks Travis, one thing that is mystifying me is wind offset. When I go into analyse wind after the ride it makes a big difference to the power readings. Does that indicate that my wind offset in my cal might need to be tweaked? Or should I do a Cal Wind before my next ride?

Is it more correct to use the power data that the analyse wind provides? it certainly changes my power for the ride quite significantly, the average and normalized power drops by nearly 4% after the analyse wind.
Ron