Smoothing Settings on Newton and Average Speed

texmurphy

Smoothing Settings on Newton and Average Speed

Post by texmurphy »

Since the latest Newton firmware upgrade, I have noticed that the Newton reports a lower Average Speed then my Garmin Edge 500. Both devices are measuring distance and cadence using a gsc-10 and both have wheel size set to 2096mm. Newton was set to a smoothing of 5 and the Edge has autopause set to 2.4 mph.

I did a pure out and back ride on Sunday and compared the Newton and the Edge at ride completion. The Edge showed 41.6 miles and 16.2 mph. The Newton showed 40.8 miles and 16.0 mph. Isaac reported the Newton ride file with 41.6 miles and 16.2 mph.

I switched the smoothing on the Newton from 5 to 2. On today's ride, I photographed the Newton and Edge on my bike at ride end. See attached photo.
The Newton reported 16.0 mph and the Edge reported 16.2 mph after 76.7 miles. Isaac reports 16.2 mph (as does SportTracks and Strava).

I am wondering if the Newton is applying smoothing to average speed which would be a bug IMHO. With smoothing = 2 the error is decreased compared to smoothing = 5 but still obvious.
Attachments
Newton vs Edge after 76.7 miles.
Newton vs Edge after 76.7 miles.
NewtonIsaacConflict.jpg (263.72 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Smoothing Settings on Newton and Average Speed

Post by Velocomp »

We will take a look at this
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Velocomp wrote:We will take a look at this
With the latest firmware (4.0) and Isaac (2.1.0) loaded for today's short 13 mile O&B ride, there is still a variance between what Newton reports and the reporting by Isaac and Garmin Edge for average speed (0.1 mph less on the Newton).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This has to do with how much time passes between when the cyclist stops pedaling and when the elapsed time counters stop accumulating. Apparently, the Garmin is different from us.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Velocomp wrote:This has to do with how much time passes between when the cyclist stops pedaling and when the elapsed time counters stop accumulating. Apparently, the Garmin is different from us.
Yet - Isaac agrees with the Garmin. I.e. Isaac post-ride differs from the Newton. I show this in the image above.
This was not an issue on prior Newton and GenIII firmware. The variance started about 2 firmware releases ago.