New User, Calibration question

Drissmalet

New User, Calibration question

Post by Drissmalet »

I asked and received an iBike Newton for Christmas. I have few questions about calibration and forgive me if they are basic

1)I live in a very hilly Northern GA area, so difficult to find flat roads unless I go to the highway. Does the Calibration ride HAVE TO be on a perfectly flat road. Can few percentages (maybe around 2%) OK?
2)In my display there is something that says "wind calibration". Is this something I am supposed to setup? I don't see it in the manual?
3)What is the ultimate condition and distance for the "PERFECT" Calibration ride (i.e. 4 miles, no wind etc...if there is such a thing)

Thank you
racerfern

Re: New User, Calibration question

Post by racerfern »

Drissmalet wrote:I asked and received an iBike Newton for Christmas. I have few questions about calibration and forgive me if they are basic

1)I live in a very hilly Northern GA area, so difficult to find flat roads unless I go to the highway. Does the Calibration ride HAVE TO be on a perfectly flat road. Can few percentages (maybe around 2%) OK?
2)In my display there is something that says "wind calibration". Is this something I am supposed to setup? I don't see it in the manual?
3)What is the ultimate condition and distance for the "PERFECT" Calibration ride (i.e. 4 miles, no wind etc...if there is such a thing)

Thank you
1) Avoid the highway, the cars whizzing by will mess up the cal ride. Do your best to find a one mile long road with as little traffic as possible that you can maintain some kind of constant effort. I realize that's not easy to find in some parts of the country.

2) Interesting that you point this out. I read the Quick Start instructions and there's no reference to it. So here goes:
Do the FAST START setup including putting in your weight, height, riding position.
Do the tilt calibration.
Now, make sure your unit has been outside long enough to acclimate to the outside temp. While holding the unit still in an area with no wind, press the center button so the unit sets zeros itself out. That's it. You're ready for the cal ride.

3) The ideal cal ride has a road or paved trail (I use the local paved river bed trail) with no traffic and just over a mile long. The cal ride calls for a one mile out/back. I live near the ocean so I do my cal rides very early in the morning before the wind kicks up. It's worth the effort since you really only need to do it once. Maybe there's a large park, paved jogging path, etc not too far from you.

Note, if you have your Newton on the stem and can't get to do a cal ride, the FAST START sequence along with the tilt cal and wind cal will at least get you up and going.
Fernando
Drissmalet

Re: New User, Calibration question

Post by Drissmalet »

Thank you very much. This is indeed very helpful!
I will try those suggestions then.

Cheers

Driss