best practices for wind cal??

GWPOS

best practices for wind cal??

Post by GWPOS »

I posted but have received no response so I am reposting about the wind cal. It was stated that all we have to do is put the unit on our bikes and ride, but I have found that not to be so. I have even done a wind cal just before going out for a ride and got bad numbers, See my other post. So my question again is what are the best practices to make sure our wind cal is right. This is important because it can have an extremely bad effect on rides as I found out donig my FTP test.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: best practices for wind cal??

Post by Velocomp »

It is extremely difficult to comment on this without seeing data. Please post your ride file.

Best practice on the Newton wind calibration is to not do it. Deviations of +/- 3 are extremely small and have inconsequential impact on results. But an incorrect Wind Cal will really cause problems.

If you do a Cal Wind, then the usual rules apply: make sure your wind port is covered and make sure your unit is acclimated to outdoor temperature.

I have not done a Wind Cal on my Newton in 3 months.
John Hamann
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

I did my wind cal in the garrage with the doors closed as I said in another topic post. After completing the FTP test I went home downloaded files then did a ride reset and another wind cal. Then went out for another 20+ miles and my wind and wheel speed were almost identical. This made sense because there was no wind at all that morning. Both rides were out and backs in the same areas, its just that the one that was important got messed up somehow. I used the fix ride for blocked wind port and set the wind to zero and then used those numbers for now. I have attached the file from the first ride with what I beleive has the wind cal issues.
iBike_06_30_2012_0800_15_Miles.ibr
(216.79 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

All is well.

You did your Fitness Test on an uphill with an average slope of 6.25%. Your bike speed was 10 mph.

At extremely low bike speeds the opposing wind is nothing more than a puff of breeze, so it's not at all unusual that you see low wind speeds. Note that, at the top of your climb, when your bike speed rocketed to 13 mph, wind speed was nearly identical to bike speed.

Of the 264W you produced in this test, only 9W was due to wind. This is to be expected.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 6.59.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 6.59.13 PM.png (183.02 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Agreed, your climbing numbers are spot on and wind numbers like what you have are the norm. Hey, this looks like Mt Baldy or somewhere in that area.
Fernando
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

You know I must of just had an off day. The last two days I have been pulling my usual 290-300 FTP. But just in case I lowered it a little bit until I can make sure I have it right. Set my FTP at 280 based on ride files that were loaded into Training Peaks.

Racerfern...its not Mt Baldy, but Oak Glen Road here in Yucaipa, CA. Nice straight,steep continuos grade to do power tests on. I have that and Hwy 38 out of Mentone headed towards Big Bear were I do my tests and intervals sessions.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

That's part of Breathless Agony, right? I tried it for the first time this year and didn't do very well. I turned around a few miles short of the Angelus Oaks checkpoint. I knew I wasn't going to make it all the way but thought I could make it to Angelus. The last mile or two was all I could do to muster 130w. I'll try again next year.
Fernando
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

Never done Breathless Agony....sounds like it hurts just from the description, but I do go up as far as Onyx Summit and then back down. Anyways trying to get used to this unit. The numbers seem more consistant than my Gen3 was. Just takes some time to verify everythings is set right.