Getting Started - Check Calibration

Mamil

Getting Started - Check Calibration

Post by Mamil »

This morning, I took my Newton out on her maiden voyage. Prior to starting the ride, I did a successful tilt calibration in my garage. During the ride, I stopped and did a wind calibration prior to starting the CAL ride.

When I loaded the CAL ride into ISAAC, and did a "check calibration", ISAAC suggests "significant" changes as well as indicated my TILT is bad. The wind conditions didn't change during the ride.

Given I did a tilt prior to the start, how is that possible?

Should I accept the new tilt suggested as a result of the ISAAC analysis?

Advice from all you vets would be greatly appreciated!

The CAL ride is attached.
Attachments
iBike_06_21_2012_0527_2_Miles_CalRide.ibr
(35.01 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Getting Started - Check Calibration

Post by Velocomp »

Here's what is going on.

Before doing your cal ride, your Newton is (by definition!) uncalibrated.

So, the data in the Cal Ride file, by definition, reflects your Newton in its uncalibrated state.

At the termination of your Cal Ride, the Newton AUTOMATICALLY figures out the correct calibration coefficients for your individual unit, and stores them in the Newton. Any rides done after the Cal Ride is completed will be with the correct factors.

Now, since the Cal Ride data is stored, you can ALSO use the Isaac software to see what the Cal Ride determined.

In your case, your uncalibrated Newton needed significant adjustment. We know this because, when you did the "Check Calibration", the needle was in the red zone. In your particular case, the wind scaling was way too high.

Now that you have completed your Cal Ride you should find that rides you do afterwards are quite accurate. Said differently: if you do an out-and-back ride now, and use the Check Calibration feature, the needle should be towards the green zone.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 12.22.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 12.22.09 PM.png (58.44 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
John Hamann