Garmin Edge 500 Power Meter Calibration

KimG

Garmin Edge 500 Power Meter Calibration

Post by KimG »

Anyone out there tried to calibrate their Garmin Edge 500 to their new Newton+? The Edge recognizes the Newton+; and I get power figures in the Edge's files that I download to WKO+. I've followed the directions for the Edge 500 Ant+ Power calibrations only to have my Edge 500 remain on the dashes screen.

Is the Edge 500 calibration necessary; and if it is what do I have to do to get the Newton+ and the Edge to complete the calibration sequence?

Kimball
hawkesworthm

Re: Garmin Edge 500 Power Meter Calibration

Post by hawkesworthm »

I don't believe the calibration is absolutely necessary. Garmin suggests doing it before every ride but that's just not a reality. I haven't do it in forever but I think you need to select calibrate on the Garmin and then pedal backwards a few times. Hopefully someone can chime in if there are absolute benefits to this.
KimG

Post by KimG »

I think the "pedal backwards a few times" is what brings the SRAM Quarq CinQo online and ready for calibration (per the Edge 500 video); but I don't think that procedure will bring the Newton+ online for calibration (but stranger things that I didn't expect to work have). I tried riding around the block with the Newton+ on thinking that might help but all I see on the Edge screen is the calibration screen with the dashes.
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

KimG wrote:Is the Edge 500 calibration necessary; and if it is what do I have to do to get the Newton+ and the Edge to complete the calibration sequence?
The Calibration using the Edge is for when you have a PM withOUT a head unit. I.e. you are using the Edge as a head unit. Perforce with the Newton you will always have a PM head unit.
All Edge Calibration does is inform the PM that it should reset its zero power. On a Newton this "might" correspond to forcing a Wind Calc and a Tilt Calc, but such actions are not supposed to needed with the Newton - or just do them yourself.
KimG

Post by KimG »

Sounds logical.

Thanks...