Elevation drift

KimG

Elevation drift

Post by KimG »

Has anyone else noticed that the iBike elevation setting drifts? I set it on Friday but come Monday it a about 200 feet higher. The roads I ride are a bit bumpy and broken but if shocks from broken road surfaces are causing this I think that there may be a design problem. Other than that everything else appears to be normal.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Elevation drift

Post by Velocomp »

Elevation drift is caused by changing barometric pressure, which is caused by changing weather. This is completely normal for all barometric pressure measurement systems.
John Hamann
KimG

Post by KimG »

I don't mind having to check/set the elevation before each ride but I don't recall that being addressed in the Newton+ documentation. This brings to mind another; question doesn't the elevation play a roll in the watts calculations?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Kimball
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

KimG wrote:I don't mind having to check/set the elevation before each ride but I don't recall that being addressed in the Newton+ documentation. This brings to mind another; question doesn't the elevation play a roll in the watts calculations?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Kimball
No, elevation is not involved with watts calculations.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I see that apart from any barometric driven elevation drift, there is a drift of appr. 1/3600 feet per sec (actually I estimate it 1/3592). I have a very small sample I checked just one ride file before concluding it. Is it just for some doublechecking purpose? Or is it the result of some elevation tweak by the user?

Sorry I am a newbie with Isaac and for the time being I am just setting up theories.