HIGH OUTPUTS WHEN WIND

JoseJ

HIGH OUTPUTS WHEN WIND

Post by JoseJ »

Hello I performed the normal cal ride, I think It went right. The case is that in my Ftp test I got 426 wats average on flat terrain... I think this is not right, it can not be in fact I think it is imposible. When I do a ride always analyze the ride and the wind and some times de numbers change a little others not...When climbing there ussualy is no wind and the FTP goes to 354, I think this si more reasonable, and when going down a mountain even i am not pushing hard the watts go up easily... So is this normal ?..Is the cal ride wrong? I am attaching my last non analyzed ride so that you can see it.
I am sorry I am asking so frequently but I like accuracy and your devive is a perfect and very precise
thank you in advance

I am sorry I got the wrong file, I have also attached the last cal ride
Than you John
Attachments
iBike_10_10_2013_0933_4_km_CalRide.ibr
(54.81 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
iBike_19_10_2013_0810_139_km.ibr
(859.06 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Last edited by JoseJ on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: HIGH OUTPUTS WHEN WIND

Post by Velocomp »

Please post the original .ibr file, not the exported csv file that you've sent.

We will help you as soon as we can!
John Hamann
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Ok...I have sent de original ibike rides
thank you
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I realize you had an issue with a loose mount recently and maybe that's why you did another cal ride. However not too long ago you did an FTP test and the profile from that test was with a wind scaling of 1.144. The FTP test you did today has a wind scaling of 2.060! Something went wrong on this recent cal ride so I would simply return to your original cal ride and things should return to normal.

If you take the FTP test you posted today and switch to your original profile you get numbers that make a lot more sense. I've taken the liberty of switching profiles and analyzing the ride. It's attached for your viewing pleasure.
Attachments
iBike_19_10_2013_0810_139_km_corrected.ibr
This ride has the profile from your last FTP test and is analyzed.
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 405 times
Fernando
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Yes Fernando I will explain:
I had an issue with de mount, it has a loose screw, but it had been loose since the first Cal ride, therefore this Cal ride is not good and I have rouled it out.
Then When I fixed the screw I performed another Cal ride ( wich is the one attached), and later a FTP test, the resoult was an FTP of 424 watts ( I don´t think so ), since then in every ride I analyze wind and route and numbers change, like you did and go resonable and more realistics
The ride attached has no FTP test, there was a moment when we went a litle crazy and hammer fast, it leaded you to misinterpret data.
So I thin I should perform another cal ride, but the case is that the last one went well, That is because I am puzzeld about what happend, and do not know, I just press the botton Cal ride and rode as the instruccions out and back that is it
Than you Fernando
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Understood, but in the meantime just switch to you original profile. Although the mount may have been loose and that affected wattage it seems the wind scaling of that profile is spot on.
Fernando
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Well Fernando I did another cal ride....now the wind scaling is right and the newton works well..when climbing is perfect and accurate...but when doing hard intervals o rolling terrain and with a kind of wind it goes a little crazy...some times i have the feeling of pushing harder than the screen ss..i think a costa down procedure would fine tune much better....in fact those rare outputs I think are due to a need of a better cda mesuremts....it seems it is too much affected by wind
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I am not so sure that coast downs will help. Perhaps raise your wind scaling slightly, this is something that generally does not affect climbing. I mean SLIGHTLY!
Fernando
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Ok Fernando..and could you tell me please how to do that wuth isaac
thank you
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

And how would slaightly be?...a number about 100

iremeberthe cal ride was in green zone i changed my cal ride to elbow bemt...and it wet to red zone.and the wind scaling lowered....tha could a reason
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Please upload the original cal ride and if you did an out back after the cal ride then upload that also.
Fernando
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Hi Fernando. Well that is the cal ride and another ride which is not excatly an out and back, but excep the las 10 kms it was...May be it can help you

I think you are right, there must be a low wind scaling that is why when climbing it goes perfect and against the wind takes some effort rising the watts.
Example...I am doing an interval at 215/255 w, against the wind on rolling terrain or climbig down small hills, it is is hard to maintain that watss ( not always happens only at times)...in the same interval, all of the sudden shows up a small hill to climb I keep pushing as hard as before but watts easily rise and the more I push the more they rise, so it must be a wind scaling factor as you said
thank you,
Attachments
iBike_21_10_2013_1538_68_km.ibr
other ride
(741.45 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
iBike_20_10_2013_1827_5_km_CalRide.ibr
Cal ride
(48.46 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I don't normally try to drill into short rides because there are many variables that can skew the numbers. But your cal ride is interesting in that the first 2.5km has wind about 4-5km headwind. The return leg has very little tailwind then it suddenly jumps to a very large tailwind before settling down. For whatever reason at that same time your power output suddenly changed. What happened?

Were you with other cyclists? Did something/someone block the wind on the return leg? If you're really trying to nail the wind scaling number, things like this can skew numbers. Did the wind really, suddenly change that significantly but not on the outbound leg?

I also don't think this is the original file as downloaded from the unit because when I return to original it shows different numbers.
Fernando
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Well...this the Cal ride is the stored in my computer the only change was changing the handle bar position to elbow bent and adjusting bike weight nothing else.
I performed de Cal ride solo..there was nobody else and I did it according the manual
Wind As far as I am concerned din not change, It was an early evening with a little breeze the normal here at this time of the season
traffic conditions where light to normal
During the second leg a car passed me the driver seemed to be lost, so he stopped in front of me looking for a nother road..that could be a reason to rare cal
My pedaling was smooth and steady...I do not know why that change in watts
Any way I made another Cal ride this morning it was early almost night time with very little traffic and low winds,wind here starts blowing later. I did it on a different road
I am attaching it, in fact I am attaching also my last rides
I am sorry if I am giving you problems to adjust the Newton..
Well Thank you Fernando if you can do something about it perfect otherwise don not worry. I am appreciating your effort. If you want you can answer me in spanish

NOTE
I have performed almost 5 Cal rides, none of theme went right although I did them by the manual, there is always a variable that afects de good of the cal ride..either traffic, or wind or slope, or watts,or something else, I do them by the book and never have gone perfect, I have the roads and winds I have and nothing else this is Spain....I am very perfectionist indeed, I do things until they go perfect, and the newton is cutting edge device so that it can go perfect. I have learnt something
1st Once performed de cal ride the newton goes always perfect when climbing this variable never changes. But when going down hill or flat or rolling terrain in windy times it can go wrong.
2nd. If pedaling down hill it shows high watts the wind scaling has to be lowered, in hard intervals on flat terrain if it shows high watts wind scaling has to be lowered as well. On the contrary if you are pushing hard and watts do not rise even though cal ride went well,wind scaling has to be rised. If you are going down hill and pedaling hard and watts do not rise as it should be , wind scaling must be rised
3rd. Wind scaling must be lowered or rised by hand until you find what you think is the balance between flat terrain, climbing,wind, and down hill.
4th Once you got the balance in reasonable watts stick at it, and work out on it
Than you very much again.
jose
Attachments
iBike_26_10_2013_0814_107_km.ibr
(831.69 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
iBike_24_10_2013_0946_163_km.ibr
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 420 times
iBike_26_10_2013_0803_4_km_CalRide.ibr
(29.81 KiB) Downloaded 410 times